Making Preparations by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Polutropos on Tumblr for the prompt: weapons manufacturing for Mablung

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A moment in the forges between Melian and Mablung, before he leaves to join the Union of Maedhros.

Major Characters: Mablung, Melian

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 296
Posted on 8 June 2023 Updated on 8 June 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Making Preparations

Read Making Preparations

The forges were quiet when Mablung entered. He had half expected to find a dwarf or two, or perhaps one of the king’s craftsfolk, but it seemed everyone had stepped away for the moment.

That was all right. For this he preferred to do his own work.

By the time the queen arrived, Mablung had made himself three spearheads and half a dozen arrowheads. “You are still determined to go?” she asked, picking up one of the spearheads. It was barely cool, but she did not flinch away from it; nor did her fingers blister.

“Yes, my lady.” Mablung plunged the last arrowhead into the water, and looked up at her as the steam curled into the air between them. “They are at last doing something. If the king—”

“You know his reasons. And there is the Doom that lies upon the Noldor, and thwarts all that they would do.”

“If Bauglir must win out in the end,” Mablung said, setting his jaw, “I would rather meet my end in action, instead of sitting in hiding, doing nothing.”

Melian sighed, and set the spearhead down. “I do not think he will—not in the very end. But the time has not yet come.” She smiled, quick and fleeting as a shooting star. “Yet you do no wrong in following your own heart, Mablung. May your hand fall heavily upon your enemies, and may you and Beleg both return to us whole—and perhaps even in victory. The days to come are shrouded in darkness and I cannot see through it. Maybe the son of Fingolfin will come even as his father did to the very gates of Angband, and succeed where he failed. Who can say?"

“If he does, I shall be just behind him.”


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Love it. I don’t normally view Mablung quite as eager for combat but I really really love Melian there. I love how normal you write her, and also, there is definitely not enough written about their (Melian’s and Mablung’s) relationship. 
i really enjoyed reading this story!