Fell Beast, Dreadful Spirit by Narya

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Rated T for canon character death and vaguely haunt-y stuff.

This is a gift for Anérea, who kindly illustrated the Draugluin bio I recently wrote for SWG, using a photo of my own dog as a reference.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Tolkien's werewolves are not the lycanthropes of popular myth.  What happens when they die? 

A drabble.

Major Characters: Draugluin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 102
Posted on 4 July 2023 Updated on 4 July 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

He heard the call and refused to yield. Who was he, he wondered? What had he been, long ago in the dark?

 

The wolf-shape stood beside him, silvery-blue, teeth bared in challenge and joy.

 

Together? he asked.

 

Yes. A twitch of the tail; a lift of the great front paw. Let us run.

 

Stars burned. Mountains flew under their feet. They raced through the shadows, over fire and blood, through the heart of the world and back. They sang to the skies and howled down the wind. Nobody saw them; nobody heard.

 

It is good, he thought, to be free.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Narya has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


Oh! Friendship and Freedom! Your take on his death is just so unexpected — poor Draugluin, in life he was probably so tormented, a form of split personality at odds with himself thanks to Sauron's meddling, and now in death both parts are reconciled, free to simply be him/themselves. (There's Balto's friendly, fun-loving ature coming through!)

What a delightful little gift to receive! You've made me very happy with this, thank you! ♡

Oh... please take this as a compliment, I mean it in every way -> this has such Black Rabbit of Inle feels to it!!!  If you are familiar with Watership Down?  Oh - it's achingly beautiful, I love the idea of his freedom after death.  Honestly tearing up a little (don't mind me, I'm emotional)

<3