Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind by between_thepages

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the Challenge "Turgon's Rock Opera", the prompt was "I'm Still Standing" by Elton John, which is also where I got the title from.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Aredhel has returned to Gondolin, but she desires more than to be bound to a place and a person again.

Major Characters: Aredhel, Idril

Major Relationships: Aredhel & Idril

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, Ficlet

Challenges: Turgon's Rock Opera

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 479
Posted on 19 September 2023 Updated on 20 September 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

A little Fix-it (of sorts?) for Aredhel, because she deserves it.

Read Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

The vast valley outside the walls of the white city stood in bloom, the little white flowers so numerous they appeared like a rug when viewed from the high towers. Aredhel had missed the view greatly, the beauty that springtime brought to Gondolin, a healing sight she had feared to have lost forever. Still, she knew the day would come when she would wish to see the world beyond the mountains again.

Steps approached her from behind, and she tensed up for a moment, her hand reaching up to hold her left shoulder, still a little numb from the wound the spear had left behind. Then she realised that it could not be him, for Turgon had made sure he would never be able to reach them again when he had cast him off the cliffs, despite all of her pleadings.

A pleasure to see you here, Írissë,” Irdil said as she came to stand next to Aredhel, golden hair flowing behind her in the morning breeze, “I always said you need to get out of the dark halls and get some fresh air.”

You were right, Itarillë,” Aredhel replied, still looking into the distance where she could see the mountains rise tall beyond the valley of Tumladen, not daring to face her niece when she continued, “but I will need much more fresh air than Gondolin can give me.”

Idril exhaled audibly at her words but reined herself in, not breaking her pleasant, silvery voice.

I will not hold you back, Írissë. But I will remind you that there is great danger beyond the mountains, danger you have witnessed yourself.”

At this point, Aredhel turned to look at her, at the concern showing on Idril’s beautiful face, and she stepped forward, grabbing Idril’s hand.

I have witnessed it, but I will remind you that Turukáno is not the innocent man he claims to be in my story.”

She pressed Idril’s hand to her chest in a gesture of affection.

And I promise I will not go forever. But I need to pick up the pieces of what is left of my life, and I need to do it myself. Without dwelling on what was before.”

Idril looked at her, grey eyes staring into her soul for a moment, but then she nodded sagely.

You will do what is best for you, Írissë. Others have tried time and time again to shape your life, and they have brought you nothing but sorrow. Now, it is on you to walk your own path.”

At those words, a smile appeared on Aredhel’s face, and in a swift move, she drew Idril into an embrace.

I thank you, Itarillë,” she whispered into the golden mane, “for all you have done for me.”

Idril answered her embrace but stayed silent as a single tear escaped her dark eyes.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.