The Hidden City by Lady MSM

| | |

Epilogue: The Sins of our Parents


Yale University

1972

“Excuse me. You are Elrond van Hador, right?”

Annoyed, Elrond didn’t glance up from his biology textbook. “No. That’s not my last name.”

“Funny. It was your father’s.”

This was enough to get Elrond to look up at the speaker–a tall, thin man in an impeccably tailored suit, probably in his late seventies although with with an oddly young-seeming face. He was carrying some kind of package wrapped in brown paper. “I’m sorry, have we met?”

“We haven’t, more’s the pity.” The man held out a hand. “Glorfindel Delafleur, at your service.”

Elrond stared. “Glorfindel Delafleur?”

“The very same. You’ve heard of me?”

“Well, yes, obviously, but…I was under the impression you died in 1935.”

Glorfindel grinned. “That was the idea, yes. Nearly did die, in fact, but managed to pull through. I’ve been encouraging the stories of my death, though. Can’t be too careful.”

“So why…”

“No more questions from you right now, young man,” Glorfindel interrupted smoothly. “I’ve got a few for you myself. Firstly, why exactly isn’t your last name van Hador, when I happen to know that both your father and grandfather had that name?”

“Not that it’s any of your business, but my father abandoned my brother and I when we were three years old, supposedly on secret government business,” Elrond snapped. “And my mother fled the country two years later. We have no connection to the Van Hador family, so we changed our last name to Peredhil as soon as we legally could.”

“I see. And secondly, where is your brother?”

Elrond took a deep breath, staring at the ground. “In Vietnam.”

“Ah.” Glorfindel gestured to the bench Elrond sat on. “May I sit down?”

“Go ahead.”

He did so. “First of all, I want to say that I’m very sorry about everything that has happened to your family,” he said, and sounded like he meant it. “Second of all, you should know that your parents never lied to you. It was imperative that your parents leave the country, for reasons I’m afraid I can’t get into. They didn’t forget about you, though.” He held out the package he had been holding. “Back in the early 40s I sent your grandmother Idril a discreet address where I could be contacted. Before she and your grandfather left for England in ‘53, she sent me this. For her future grandchildren, she said, whenever you were ready. You’ll pass what she said onto your brother, I hope. He deserves to know everything too.”

“I…yes, thank you.” Elrond took the package hesitantly.

Glorfindel smiled and stood, patting Elrond on the shoulder. “I’m afraid I’d better be off now. And I’m getting on in years, so I can’t say I’ll be around much longer, but as long as I am, my address is in that package and you can contact me if you ever need anything. Goodbye, Elrond Peredhil. And good luck.”

—————————————————————————————————-

He didn’t have a chance to open the package until that evening, when classes had finished. The first thing he pulled out was the slip of paper where Glorfindel had written his address, which Elrond carefully folded and hid in his desk. The rest of what was in the package seemed to mostly be photographs tied in a bundle, with a letter on top. This Elrond unfolded and began to read.

To my dear grandchildren,

I can’t say how sorry I am that it will be a long time before we meet, if at all. The trouble is that your granddad and I are both getting older, and what we need is clean English air at this time of our lives.

I am not leaving this letter with your parents…rather, I am sending it to an old friend, one who I know will be able to keep it safe. You see, I want you to know the truth about our family. Why it is that your father and mother may be unexpectedly called away without being able to tell you why.

You’ve heard, I expect, that the Gates family–my family–has been involved with some criminal activity in the past. My father’s branch of the organization, in Chicago, was one of the “better-behaved” parts of the family, or at least one of the less violent. Our other relatives were not quite as conscientious. Needless to say, our entire family was high up on the government’s watch list.

After our narrow escape from Chicago, your grandfather and I decided that the only way for us to live normal lives again was to turn to the right side of the law. We went to the FBI and, in exchange for full pardons, told them everything we knew…about the Gates Artificial Diamonds, about the Angband mob, and even our own family’s activities.

They made us give them one more promise: that our family would assist the United States Government in any investigations in which they feel we’d be an asset.

At the time, I was certain this was the right thing to do. Now that Tuor and I are retired and leaving the country, I’m not so sure. Because this burden is now going to pass to your parents, and eventually, to you. But please do believe me when I say that I have utmost faith in you, and your mother and father.

For now, I will end by giving you the best advice I can: Be careful. And be prepared.

Love,

your grandmother Idril


Chapter End Notes

And here we are at the end! Though I have written many, many other shorts in this AU that I might post here at some point, if anyone has any interest.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment