The Small and Secret Things by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Housecleaning

Today's word is a funny one, so I've made an attempt at a humor piece. Celegorm cleans his room, in 200 words.


His mother's words rang in his ears. Before you play, you must clean your room.

Must, Tyelkormo! No exceptions!

He grumbled and looked around. Outside, the day was warm and bright--the first such day after a week of rain--but in here … well, in here, it was wont to be called a mess or a wreck or, his mother's favorite, a travesty. Even his father--and Fëanáro was not tidy by any stretch of the most fertile imagination--claimed that Tyelkormo's bedroom could lend proof to the theory of entropy.

But the day outside … it beckoned!

Tyelkormo got busy.

His feet made fast work of finding a home for his dress boots, a dog bone, a broken green-fletched arrow, and an encrusted soup tureen beneath his bed. The Atlas of Aman he was supposed to be studying sailed into his closet. He rolled discarded quills and parchment, three rings, a pile of rocks, and a screwdriver into his rug and shoved it in after.

To finish the job, he grabbed a tunic from a hanger, swabbed the dust from the furniture, then dashed it into the hamper.

And he called, "Mother! I'm off! I've cleaned my room!"


Chapter End Notes

Today's Word:

gallimaufry gal-uh-MAW-free, noun:

A medley; a hodgepodge.

Gallimaufry, originally meaning "a hash of various kinds of meats," comes from French galimafrée, from Old French, from galer, "to rejoice, to make merry" (source of English gala) + mafrer, "to eat much," from Medieval Dutch maffelen, "to open one's mouth wide."


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment