The Eyes and Ears of Melkor by Chilled in Hithlum

| | |

Chapter 16 The Importance of Baring


Two weeks and more had passed since Hurin's departure from Angband and Melkor waited for news; he had decided not to use Orbs for the transmission of information since his quarry was well attuned to their use, and he wanted it to appear to Hurin that he was held as one in honour and not one to be spied upon.  Now it was on a day of mid spring that the first coterie of Orcs came back to Angband with report of Hurin‘s movements; Melkor greeted them well in his throne room and bade them to tell from the beginning all that they knew.

The Captain of the Orcs began, "There is little to tell of our actual journey towards Hithlum, save that Hurin walked obstinately before us in bitter silence; he ate and slept alone whilst making no attempt to escape us.  Although it later became apparent Lord; on the day after our setting out, news reached Hithlum that our vanguard was heading in their direction and it seemed that rumours soon flourished about the place that Hurin, as your emissary, led a greater number of us than had actually come forth."

Melkor laughed and said, "Ha!  As ever in a climate of fear, that which is most feared is always over-exaggerated"

"Indeed," said the Captain, "Thereafter, It was reported to us that the Easterlings' thralls grew fearful and wailed ‘What evil has become of our Lord, that he now marches against us?'; and Lorgan for his part, worried too that Hurin was sent out to overthrow him and take back his former lands as your fief.  But I am getting ahead of myself; your pardon, My Lord?"

"Granted; say on, my Captain!" grinned Melkor.

The over-deferential Orc bowed low and continued, "Those in the homesteads below the Eastern Mountains fled at the rumour of our coming but we made no assault, as was thy bidding.  Yet by now, the whole place was rank with fear and I must confess that it tasted good upon our parched throats.  But, as was previously arranged by thy great self, Lord, every fear proved unfounded and we left Hurin alone at the boundaries to enter into Hithlum as a free man; therefore, the bannered Orcs returned to Angband and we convened with the fore-comers and clad ourselves in regulation gear.  We presented your orders to the Governor-General, and without any undue scepticism we assimilated with the Hithlum-Corps easily enough.  So it was, because the grandeur of his coming; nobody prevented Hurin's return to Dor-Lomin or hindered any of his movements, but many of his former people avoided him out of fear and suspicion.  He soon grasped that the situation in his homeland had diminished beyond the point of reawakening or uprising; consequently, the obvious weakness of his once valiant folk embittered his heart and he renounced his lordship of them, and would soon be gone.  Indeed, there were only seven out of all his people that remained loyal to him, and they themselves had lived perilously as outlawed Men." 

At this point the Orc ceased speaking and cleared his throat, gazing longingly towards a hastily prepared table.  Melkor, seemingly oblivious to his signal impatiently said, "You tell a pleasing tale, but why do you delay?  I will hear the rest; continue!"

"Begging your indulgence, Great Lord," said the Orc, "We have travelled far and are in need of sustenance, would that we may partake of some refreshment?"

Melkor eyed him curiously, "Hmm," he said, "I see no disguise in your form but your bearing betrays you; you are no Orc."

"Not one of thy breeding; but rather of thy seizing and moulding," the Captain replied, "Indeed, I am descended from the last of the Cuivienen Elves and among those longest in your service; and whilst it is true that I have never been granted the privilege to report to you thus, my record is well documented and my loyalty and valour are fully proven, Lord." and the other Orcs readily grunted in agreement.

"What do they call you?" quizzed Melkor.

The Orc, lowering his eyes, said ashamedly "Toff, My Lord." 

Melkor creased with laughter for several minutes whilst intermittently repeating the word ‘Toff' and pointing at his captain.  Mopping his eyes, Melkor said, "O!  For the entertainment alone you deserve a feast; come now my dear Toff, and dine with me!  However, the remainder of the tale had better be worth the adjournment."

"I am quite sure it shall please your ears, My Lord." said Captain Toff smugly, ignoring the disbelieving others as he took his seat at the board.  

Toff tucked in greedily as his famished company stood by, daring not to talk unbidden in the presence of their lord; at length one Orc side-kicked his Sergeant's foot and gestured with his head for him to speak up, but the officer stiffened and shook his head in denial.  Melkor noted their antics from his throne and smiled; saying to Toff, "Is the food to your liking Captain?" who in turn nodded in full-mouthed approval.  However, Melkor grew impatient and clapped twice to summon his table staff; he bade them to clear up long before the food was gone and said, "Take this rabble to the kitchen and give them what is left over; when they are refreshed, return them here and have them await my summons outside the great door!  For now, my captain and I have urgent matters to discuss."  

The chamber fell silent once all was done and Melkor beckoned his captain closer.  Toff came to the dais and stood confidently in the gap where once lay the seat that remains embedded still in the central cone of Thangorodhrim.  Melkor looked askance at the captain and said angrily, "Again your bearing betrays you, servant of Sauron; you presume to speak to me of breeding and moulding when thou knowest nought of my skill, thou dolt.  I need no records to read the heart of my subjects; when one such as thee allows faithful subordinates to go hungry if he thinks it buys him my favour.  Cuivienen you say?  How dare mention that name before me in my own hall; loyalty you say, explain then how it is that long ago I bade my old deputy to brake the template of my creation, and yet you stand before me in the very spot where he sat?  Where is loyalty, Captain Toff, when my orders remain incomplete?  You should be dead, and you will be dead if your tale is not to my liking.  Speak now, for your life depends on it; and spare not the melodic words that you learned from he that spared you, and whom you stink of now!"

Toff quailed under the wrath of his master, scarce comprehending why he had wronged him; save by wanting to make a good impression.  Truly he had no knowledge of a ‘Cuivienen Purge' and he was always led to believe that longevity of service would be looked upon as favourable; thus as Melkor spoke, Sauron had deceived him.  In after days Toff pondered why he and his dwindling kind should be spared when it went against the will of Melkor, "We hold no special rank in the Dark Lord's armies," he thought; however in long ages beyond this one, Sauron would have plans of his own.  

But now, Captain Toff needed to think fast whilst recapturing his earlier composure, for his master wanted a story told in fair words; luckily for him he had an optimistic tale to tell.  "Hurin had vanished with his ramshackle band into the hills for some two  days or more," be began, "When at last he came in great wrath to the house of Lorgan demanding to know what had become of a kinswoman of his; Aerin I believe she was named.  An argument broke out when Lorgan reported news of her death and that of the old servants of Hurin's wife's house; in retribution for the slaying of Brodda at the hands of Turin..." 

Melkor, interrupting the account, abruptly raised a halting hand whilst he digested the news that Turin had seemingly roamed freely about the lands which were long held as a baited trap.  He silently cursed his own complacency and the lack of communication between his Orb readers; and shaking his head in despair, he resolved in his thought that the Chieftain of the Easterlings would pay for this incompetence.  And sighing aloud, Melkor rolled his right index finger in a gesture for his captain to continue. 

"The tension eased somewhat when Hurin declared his intention to leave Hithlum." said Toff, "Indeed, rumours went abroad on the streets that Lorgan was relieved to be rid of Hurin at the cost of only seven companions, confirming his fears of usurpation or possibly mass exodus."

"A craven lord receives both in the end," said Melkor coldly.

"Quite so," said the Orc with budding assurance, "For Hurin left his house with great enmity, calling down vengeance on Lorgan's folk; be it by your will, Lord, or from another source."  He stopped at this point, smiling expectantly: hoping that his master would be pleased and redirect his anger again at Lorgan, but Melkor gave no sign, forcing Toff to resume in doubt. 

"Nonetheless, in his eagerness to separate Hurin from his folk, Lorgan stubbornly sent forth a detachment with great ceremony to escort the emigrants out from ‘his lands' and across the great river, via the far eastern mountain passes.  Unfortunately, this hindered our surveillance by forcing us to speed on ahead; thus I have little more to tell regarding Hurin's departure from Hithlum.  However, those mountains offer many places to hide and there are wide views of the narrow lands and the vale below, so we were soon able to mark their going.  We crossed over and followed them south as far as we dare along the river since they drew nigh to the eyries of the Eagles; but we went unnoticed and watched them turn back west into the vale of the little rivers by way of the ford.  Fortune favoured us with heavy clouds that afternoon bringing an almost early dusk, and we soon spotted the wayfarers campfire by the northern outliers of Brethil.  Presently, there was sudden movement above us and the great birds wheeled overhead; but we were not assailed, and I feel secure in saying that our hiding was not discovered by them for they flew eastward in great haste.  Therefore, we came out and gingerly crept downriver under the shadow of the Eagle Cliffs with the intention of catching up with the travellers, and once more we struck lucky; for as we reached the southwest bend of the circling wall, there we saw the lone figure of Hurin fording the river towards our bank." 

Melkor leant forward with eyes widened and Toff knew now that he had captured his master's attention; he continued with poise, "Our contingent, here present, followed after Hurin and the others went to spy on his companions once Hurin passed beyond sight the river.  In a final blessing, a fierce northerly wind pushed the clouds away southwards; revealing the last of the blood-red sun behind us and the old man marching purposely before us.  He passed into Dimbar and made for the roots of the mountains; indeed, Hurin almost came straight upon us but instead he turned again east and followed the chain around until he reached, and scaled, a lofty mound of fallen boulders.  For the longest time he stood there motionless leaning on his staff, red against the dying light; he then surveyed the skies as the sun dropped away and cried out aloud.  The wind took up his voice and we heard, Turgon! Hurin calls you, will you not hear in your hidden halls..."

Melkor stamped his foot and clapped with glee, for at long last he was aware of the region where his enemy dwelt; beaming he said, "What else did he say, what else happened?"

"Nothing much else, Lord," said Toff, "Save that in his ranting he mentioned the battle ere your glorious victory, possibly calling back a debt of valour; however no answer came in reply, and in the darkness he stumbled on the loose rocks.  We ventured closer since he had fallen hard and was unmoving, but we found him unconscious and breathing.  Therefore we thought it best leave him unmolested, as thou requested Lord, and we turned back to see what our colleagues had discovered on the other mission..."

Halting the captain, Melkor bade him to summon the waiting Orcs inside for a draft of grog and a well earned rest.  There was much merriment as cups and plates were filled and it was not long before the chamber filled with course singing, led by Melkor himself.  At length he turned to Toff; coolly asking, "What did the others discover?"

"We were met at the crossing by our collaborators, saying that night sentinels were patrolling the north marches of the forest," said Toff.  "They could have easily taken them but in keeping with secrecy they drew back..."

"Yes, yes," said Melkor with irritation, "What did they say?"

Toff cleared his throat; nervously continuing, "When they reached their camp the fire was quashed and the wanderers were asleep.  They then decided to reassemble with us; thus we met at the ford.  We found good hiding and exchanged accounts; there we thought to wait and see if Hurin would return.  Early the next morning we found to our dismay that the encampment had been deserted and we knew not if Hurin's companions were taken by the sentinels or whatever; yet many footprints led into the forest.  Alas, our night scout had fallen asleep at his post and for this he was duly slain.  However all was not lost; for presently, Hurin came by as one dazed, heedlessly repeating the name ‘Morwen' over and over, and completely unaware that we were watching him at close range.  We followed him for the rest of the day around the edge of the forest, and ever did it seem that he walked in a stupor.  By early evening however, we could go no further without being seen since we drew nigh to a large outpost of Forest Men close to the crossings where the Ravenous Watch were slain.  Hurin though was undeterred and passed them by, curiously nobody went near him; indeed they avoided him with fear in their eyes.  Perhaps in the mist they thought him a wraith?  We had now reached an impasse and I was eager to bring back this news to you; thus it was decided that we should split up again so that the others might track Hurin as they may, and we could return hence."

Melkor slowly clapped his hands and said, "Congratulations Toff, this tale has earned you your life; but not my leave."  And with that he tossed a set of manacles onto the table, smashing the crockery; and he cruelly said to the other Orcs there assembled, "Seize this, this Elf and take him to the mines!  Set him to work with his brethren and let his pedigree be known to all, Orc and thrall alike; tell everyone to spread this story so that it shall be known that I will not brook dirty blood in my ranks, however pristine their service record!" 

Even as Melkor spoke, Toff darted towards the door but he was quickly wrestled down and laid in bondage.  His former subordinates laughed as they dragged him with mockery through the corridors of Angband to the pits of hell.  The chief-overseer scarce believed their tale for he had long known and even respected the hapless prisoner; but not wanting to incur his master's wrath, he placed Toff in a holding cell until this account could be confirmed.  So it was, even until the War of Wrath, that poor Captain Toff lived out his days in thraldom; being neither accepted as either Orc nor Elf, and his days were ever miserable and lonely.  It was said in after times as he died in the Tumults of Angband, when the Valar came with destruction, that Toff was taken before Mandos.  There his many sins were weighed against him, and his time of waiting was long; but since he was judged by Melkor as an Elf, so he was by Mandos and in that judgement he found purging and redemption. 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment