Stupid Stories for Irreverent Elves by darthfingon

| | |

On Elements

Fingolfin


Treatise on the Nature of Science and Elemental Creation: A study of worldly matter
So discerned by His Majesty King Finwë Nolofinwë of Hisilómë and thus passed into law.

On Elements

Of strict elements in the discipline of science of this world there number nine, which do exist in many states. For the elements of matter come together in composition by strange powers to create all aspects of the world and all pieces within. Beast and bird and plant alike have so been constructed by a harmony of elements in distinct measure with an addition of quadressence by the blessing of Eru Ilúvatar, where quadressence itself is not of elemental standing but akin more to magic beyond the scope of this world. It is of a fourth designation outside of the elemental triads.

The elemental triads are these. There stands first the triad of pure elements, those named: air, water, fire. Pure elements may be arranged on the vertical in that order from highest to lowest. Then follows the triad of level elements, those named: wood, metal, stone. Level elements may be arranged in a triangle, with wood at the peak and metal and stone in either low corner. Finally is named the triad of perfect elements: aether, light, dark. These cannot be arranged in any shape but do float freely about the other triads as they will. The perfect triad has been named thusly because its elements must always be in a condition of perfection. They are never faulted by mixture.

On Composition

All that exists within the circle of Arda shall be composed of certain measures of the pure and level elements. Such measures may never be known but by the Valar, with whom Eru shared his great wisdom. For though it is known now to us that a tree is composed of the elements wood and water, who may say in what amounts, and who may create a new tree from a lifeless bough and a stream? It is the same to say then that none but the Valar may have the power to combine metal with fire to make gold or water to make silver, and foolishness is the only prize for those who strive against the will of nature. The hands of the Eldar will make only semiprecious alloy and crystal.

The simplest compositions exist in states of near purity. Stone is always stone, but different sorts may be observed through a combination with small amounts of metal to make a stone that glitters or fire to make a stone that is dark and brittle. Exact combinations of stone and other elements in good measure will yield precious gems. Metal in the same manner may be mixed with stone to form iron or air to form tin. Metal with some fire will be copper, but more fire will give gold. The proportions do naturally count very firmly in the study of creation.

The greater is the creation, the more complex is the measure of elements. Many living creatures will possess all six pure and level elements in their making. Most complex of all is the being of the Elda, which shows to have wood and stone and air in his bones, and water and metal and fire in his blood alone. Every part of the Eldarin being is of most serious composition.

On the Perfect Triad

The perfect elements of aether, light and dark may never take part in composition, but will influence at times the mood or spirit of any thing, living or not, within the world. Any item or living being may be altered by reaction to light or dark, and aether will affect both knowledge and activity. Exact effects and mysteries thereof are unknown, and remain secrets of the Valar alone.

On States

There exist two states for the pure and level element triads: these are free and solid. First the pure elements are found most commonly in their free state, while level elements are commonly in their solid state. It is however possible for pure elements to be solid and level elements to be free. When solid, air will become frost, water ice, and fire ash. When free, wood turns to smoke, metal to melt, and stone to magma.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment