Laurië Lassi – Golden Leaves by Esteliel

| | |

Shards

Lothlorien Passport Stamp
She knelt on the floor, carefully picking up the shards of glass. Why did it have to be this one that broke?

Start a story with this two lines and answer the question of what was once broken. Or create a poem or piece of art that pictures this scene.


Shards

She knelt on the floor, carefully picking up the shards of glass. Why did it have to be this one that broke?

She had heard so many rumors. It seemed as if every other week, a ship arrived. One had brought a letter, shortly after Sauron had been vanquished, and she had wept without shame when for the first time after so many years, she beheld her son's generous, flowing tengwar.

Now, after all this time, the plump, slightly lopsided horse her Laurefindil had crafted as a gift for her three Ages ago had fallen off her desk. She smiled through her tears, remembering Laurefindil's fascination with the glass-blower's market stand. Of course, it was thanks to the artisan's help that the horse looked like a horse at all, yet it was exactly the imperfection of the figurine that had made her love it.

Well, it could not be helped, she thought resolutely and put the shards away. And if the rumors she had heard were indeed true, maybe she would soon be able to put up gifts from a grandchild instead.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment