Aerin and Broddun by Himring

| | |

Part I: Chapter 4: Mapping the Past

Mapping the Past

Prompt: Drawing (Communication by Drawing)


Migration

 

Easterlings do not write, but they do keep records. Broddun draws Easterling signs on Edain parchment with an Edain pen, mapping the tribe’s trail through time and space to Dor-lomin. This symbol means: Here fishing was good, that one: Here we saw the white stag. But the entries grow darker. Here orcs ate three and eight, meaning: three people, eight cattle. Lorfang died in ambush, killing three. In autumn, plague came from the east.

Studying the map, Aerin sees how Morgoth’s creatures harried the tribe toward the Blue Mountains until they crossed. Does Broddun see that, too? Should she say?

 

Battlefield

 

Anfauglith is a mess of black symbols. ‘Ulfast died’, says Broddun, pointing at her map. ‘Ulwarth died. Uldor died. Many died.’

‘Close kin?’ asks Aerin, after a little hesitation.

Broddun lifts first both hands together, then one hand and two fingers.  It takes Aerin a while to work out what she is saying:  seventeen clansmen died—that is how far Brodda was from succeeding to the chieftainship before the Nirnaeth.

Aerin does not know what to say. Her father, Indor, is missing: presumed fallen at Serech beside Huor.

Broddun is watching her face. ‘Bad battle’, she says forcefully. ‘All bad!’


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment