Above the Clouds by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Originally written for the LOTR Community Challenge One Picture is Worth a Thousand Words, for the following prompt:

 

sky silhouette

 

(The prompt was supplied by Dreamflower, who ran the challenge and stated that the image she supplied is in the common domain.)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Berion, a captain of Fingon's guard, survives the defeat of his king in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad and ends up in Gondolin.

Major Characters: Idril, Noldor, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 208
Posted on 8 November 2013 Updated on 8 November 2013

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Warning for post-traumatic stress disorder.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Such a poignant and sad story, it sort of typifies the tragedy of the Noldor and I really like this more oblique view from a foot soldier;s pov so the personal loss and tragedy here underpins the heroic and epic nature of Tolkien's tale. I love how you do this - that intense understanding of character and how it drives a plot. As always, your writing is masterful.

Wow, I really loved this story! You treated Berion's trauma well, and didn't overdo it (but you managed to convey the seriousness quite well). Him visiting Fingolfin's grave was a great touch (him talking to Fingolfin's grave made me sad), and I loved his last conversation with Idril.

Thank you, I'm happy to hear you liked it!

I guess I made it sound sort of scientific by calling Berion's state of emotional shock PTSD, but I haven't done any real research on the subject, so I'm glad you find his reactions convincing.

That part about Fingolfin's grave was the original plot bunny--that any refugees from Hithlum that ended up in Gondolin would find that Fingolfin had got there before them, but it could never be more than a sad meeting...