Vana's Day by Tehta

| | |

Say It With Song


The white flowers were holding up rather well, Ecthelion noticed. Indeed, it was hard not to do so, since Glorfindel had chosen to place the small bouquet on a table in the center of the room. Meanwhile, his large collection of yellow roses languished in a corner, looking rather like a poorly-pruned shrubbery. Given that Glorfindel did not even like narcissus, this arrangement had to be a deliberate provocation. Most likely, an attempt to get Ecthelion to talk about their sender.

Well, Ecthelion had no intention of doing any such thing, not when he had already put so much effort into alternative--and, hopefully, more romantic--approaches.

Instead, he walked over to a window, and opened it. A draft of cool air brought with it an assortment of street noises, the most prominent of which was a pleasant, but untrained voice singing the familiar tune that had become so popular over the last few days.

Ecthelion had timed his window-opening gesture well: the singer was just reaching the refrain.

I bought the flowers, but I might regret it,
If when you hear this, you fail to get it.

"Oh, it’s that flower song again!” Glorfindel joined him at the window, a breeze ruffling his already messy hair. “I have been hearing it all over town. It must have struck a chord with quite a few people.”

Now, that was promising. "Must it?” asked Ecthelion. “And what sort of person might it strike a chord with, do you suppose?"

"The sort who has sent flowers to someone whose high moral standards preclude bribing florists?"

Ecthelion sighed.

"Please do not imagine that I am mocking your opinions," said Glorfindel, obviously misunderstanding. "I do see your point, about corruption in the guilds and so on. But it is only natural for people to desire to know, well, who desires them. One might say that it is a part of the universal search for truth and knowledge. You cannot object to that.”

“Well, I am all for truth and knowledge, of course, but I cannot help feeling that these noble concepts are somewhat devalued by being sold under the counter, like so many counterfeit Feanorian daggers. Besides, I have been told that plain truth is the enemy of romance, which requires… mystery.”

"Sure. Solvable mystery, though. With plenty of clues and hints.”

“I see.” Ecthelion thought for a moment. “In which case, I suppose I should mention that the song being sung outside was written by me.”

“Was it?” Glorfindel drew his robe tighter around himself, and leaned out of the window, listening. “I would never have guessed. It is far simpler than your usual compositions. So, why would you-- No, wait, I bet I can work out your reasons!"

“Can you?” asked Ecthelion.

“I expect you thought it might be of use to all those musicians you had tried to help, who have since discovered that they are getting no credit for their romantic gestures.” Glorfindel sent Ecthelion a sideways glance. “Since all the credit went to you, I mean.”

“I would not say I have received credit for-- Oh, you mean the cake.”

The cake had arrived at his office the day after Vana’s, heart-shaped and decorated with icing spelling out the words, ‘THANK YOU FOR THE FLOWERS!’ Ecthelion had attempted to quash rumour by immediately sharing the confection with his men. He had forgotten that guards were worse gossips than even musicians: less self-absorbed, he supposed.

“Yes, I certainly do mean the cake,” said Glorfindel, “and also that man in the sauna yesterday, the one who sent you all those steamy looks.”

Ecthelion decided to forego the obvious joke on the grounds of taste, saying instead, “That does not count. You are forever imagining that people are sending me suggestive looks in the Baths. However--” On second thoughts, the stories of the assorted gifts that had arrived at his house throughout the week was also best left unshared, as was the story of the angry letter denouncing his polyamorous nature both in Quenya and Sindarin. “However,” he continued, “yes, I will admit that my plot against the Florists' Guild was perhaps not as fully thought-out as it could have been. And that I did write this song to help someone in the Vana’s Day orchestra: the very musician who had sent you these flowers.”

“Well, perhaps I should visit this orchestra of yours,” said Glorfindel slyly. “And see who starts singing.”

“As cunning plans go, that is not a bad one,” said Ecthelion. “But it does have two small flaws. One, Vana’s Day has come and gone, so that particular orchestra has disbanded. And two, even if you were to attend some sort of orchestral reunion, and I were to notice you and start singing, people would probably assume I was leading a song rehearsal and join in.”

Glorfindel took a moment to consider this while a different singer's voice rose up, bright and clear.

Thinking the corny gesture would please you,
I sent those flowers, you clueless idiot.

“Wait… what?” asked Ecthelion. ”I never wrote that! I mean, it does not even rhyme.”

"Popular songs do tend to take on a life of their own," said Glorfindel. "As far as I can tell, this one has several versions, reflecting different moods and degrees of frustration on the part of the flower-sender. But you are right, I cannot imagine you singing this particular variant."

“Actually, I can. By which I mean," said Ecthelion, "that I can both imagine doing so, and actually do it. Right now, if you like.”

“Really?” Glorfindel drew back into the room to lean against the window-jamb. “I have not heard you sing in a while. Not in private, anyway. Go on, then.”

Ecthelion drew in a breath. But then, as he looked at Glorfindel’s eager, hopeful expression, framed as always by his incomparable hair, he felt his irritation dissipate. “I cannot,” he said. “Sorry. It would be just too impolite.”

“If the phrasing bothers you, then you could try one of your original verses. Or not. I really do not mind: it is not as if I am planning to pay much attention to the lyrics.”

“You… are not?”

“How could mere words, no matter how poetic, distract me from the sound of your voice?”

Oh, Eru! Ecthelion did not like to think of himself as a quitter, but… Surely, if a novel strategy keeps failing, it is only rational to fall back on something more familiar.

“Look here, Glorfindel,” he said. “Or rather, listen closely, and not to my voice but to my words: I sent those flowers.”

“I know, you were doing a favour for--”

“Not because I was doing a favour for some secret admirer, but-- I mean, yes, I was buying all those other bouquets, but then I started thinking about how most of the senders barely even know the recipients--they just find them pleasing to look at from afar, or something--and meanwhile I, who-- Anyway, I found myself getting angry.”

“Angry?” Glorfindel was looking at him a bit warily.

“Right, but I soon realized that I had the perfect alibi, because I had already bought so much, and I augmented the order. I am sorry, I know I should have gone with the yellow roses, only--”

“Only they are trite and cliched, so you picked something tasteful -- I really should have known, just based on that -- but, oh, Ecthelion!” Glorfindel’s eyes widened; his hand crept up to rest on his chest, above his heart. “So it was for me that you wrote that song!”

“Which is even more trite and cliched, I know, but I had to be sure that plenty of people--”

“No, no… I mean, I have always...” Glorfindel paused, struggling for words. “To have you write me a song: this has been a… dream, a fantasy of mine, for so long. Since-- Wait, there it is once more!”

He rushed back to the window, beyond which a second voice -- this one female, and rather affected -- was just beginning the first verse.

On Vana’s morning I had the notion
To with bright flowers show my devotion

Ecthelion watched him listen, torn between pride for having done something right, and shame for the mediocrity of the work he had -- apparently -- done it with, when he was capable of so much more.

Fortunately, Vana’s Day would come again.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment