Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I would love to offer constructive criticism (I know how much is needed when writing), sadly I find no critic to make, sorry; hence I'll limit myself to useless fawning.

This piece had a very strange, and beautiful mix of dark humor and sadness that seems (sadly) very realistic to me, the exhausted column of surviving soldiers trudging on wounded but still dressed in the almost-festive garb chosen by their (chromatically challenged) Lord is a very powerful image that is conveyed very well by your writing style. Moreover I really liked how Orneredh had to earn every last dredge of trust, it is extremely realistic, given what the fall of Gondolin must have been. Last, but definitely not the least, the description of Glorfindel made by Egalmoth, apart from being deeply moving, is very in character for him without taking away from the obvious sign of trauma he shows.

Congratulations again

Thank you again! I am so happy that this story worked for you, as it is not really my usual thing (it is far more tragic and obviously "deeper" than my comedies.) But of course the story of the refugees is an (appealingly) tragic one, and I do love writing Egalmoth... Orneredh surprised me, too, since I normally stay away from OCs, but she turned out rather fun to imagine.