Love Unfulfilled in Dorthonion by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Fell Fire

Written for the February 2018 "Breaking Boundaries" prompt - a conversation between Aegnor and his twin (in mine and Emma's verse, anyway) Artanis, or Nerwen, who we all know better as Galadriel. 

Galadriel is in Doriath and Aegnor is in Dorthonion, so the conversation is conducted entirely in osanwe-kenta across their twin-bond. 


Aegnor the Elfling, Aegnor fumed. How dare Lord Bregolas refer to him so disrespectfully – ah, but there lies the rub, he told himself. Bregolas had inherited such prejudices from his father Bregor, and it was Bregor's sister Andreth he yet loved - and had spurned all those years ago. She had promised not to continue to pursue him, but after her father's death, she had begged him - and he had forsaken her yet again.

Well, he had had to, Aegnor reasoned with himself. His folk did not take wives and sire children in such times as these. He loved Saelind, the Lady Andreth, with all his heart, and the rejection of her suit was no easier for him! Did she really think it was? So, he returned home to the fortress on the height of Foen, where he dwelt with his brother Angrod.

Angrod, as it happened, was not home. As was his wont, he was out hunting, and Aegnor found himself alone. Well, perhaps not quite alone. As the youngest son of Arafinwë returned to his chambers to take his ease, he sent his mind questing along his twin-bond. Nerwen? Where art thou, sister?

Here, she replied, sounding slightly amused, as always, brother. I am never far from thee, for thou art my other half, is it not so?

Not thy better half, at any rate, Aegnor replied, and heard Nerwen laugh again. Do not laugh at me! Niniel would say it was thy fault I have such a weakness for…for… He trailed off and felt Nerwen probing at the edges of his mind, curiosity aroused.

What troubles thee, Brother? Art thou well, Aicanáro?

Aegnor sighed. Nay, Sister. For I have continued to spurn the Lady Saelind, who hath my heart in her keeping. Now is not the time for us, in such days as these. War marches ever closer.

The Lady Saelind is one of the Aftercomers, Nerwen replied. She will die soon.

And Celeborn is not much better, for all he is at least of Elfkind, Aegnor retorted. Or so Niniel sees it.

What care I for Niniel? Celeborn at least is not only our kind, but our blood, she replied. He is our kinsman through Ammë. It is a perfectly respectable alliance, and I love him – we love each other. Can you not be happy for us, Aicanáro?

I would, if only I might find love with Saelind, Aegnor said. But it can never be so. I care naught for Niniel’s opinion, or even Angaráto’s, but war will doom us all – or will your Celeborn remain safe behind Aunt Melian’s fence?

Who can say? Nerwen sighed. Mayhap when this is over, you will be able to give Lady Saelind the answer she pleases. I only pray you stay alive to do so.

May the Valar hear you, Aegnor replied. I love thee, Nerwen. Whatever befall, I shall always be with thee.

And may the Valar hear you, Brother, came her reply. But if I were you, I would prepare your people to flee.

What meanest thou? Aegnor demanded. Screams of terror snapped him out of his thought-sending, and he felt Nerwen flee his mind. He ran to the window; from the height of the Foen he could see flame and smoke. Aegnor rushed to prepare his warriors. The long siege was over.


Chapter End Notes

And with that, the Dagor Bragollach is upon them. *shivers* Poor Dorthonion elves :( 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment