Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


In spite of the sad theme, I really enjoyed this. It was a good read on its own, but after I went back to read your Uldor fic for more context, it became all the more poignant! It was so satisfying to see Ulrica get her own story, and even - unexpectedly - a happy end (well, as happy as they come in the Silmarillion). The treatment she received from the supposed "Whitefiends" was such a contrast to what she must have been used to, even before her captivity (and possibly before her marriage). Elven standards of hospitality indeed! I loved Ulrica's resourcefulness and the way in which she analyses her environment. And her words to Maglor were fantastic!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this and that it works both on its own for you and together with "Uldor"! It seemed a very private enterprise, trying to salvage her from the total train wreck that is the end of "Uldor", so I wasn't sure readers would be able to tune into that.

Of course, I managed to make the end happy-ish only by dodging the Second Kinslaying! But good to hear that those words to Maglor really worked for you.

I imagine Ulrica, unlike Uldor, having had quite a decent childhood by the standards of her tribe, even if it didn't feature a couple of things Elves might take for granted. She would not feel so betrayed by her family if she hadn't trusted them to begin with.