Romennie by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Romennie

Dark. Very, very dark. How dark? I got this bunny upon reading about the Nazi-run "children's clinics" where gassing was first implemented. I don't even know for sure how I got from the article on Elie Wiesel to there, but anyway. I don't think I would rate it R, as violence and character death are only referenced, but perhaps PG-13


 

Romennie was different. She was always different - Atar's favourite daughter, his baby. She didn't realise there was anything wrong with her, even when it was obvious to everyone else that she lived in a world of her own. She was actually older than me, but never acted like it, though her body matured. Romennie was always going to be simple. Our two older sisters knew that, and treated her gently.

Not everyone would.

Elendil, one of the leaders of the secret Faithful and a chief counsellor to the King, was our grandfather. He knew that Zigur, the highest counsellor, speaks with a serpent's tongue. And because of Zigur, a temple has been raised to the Lord of Night, the Master of Darkness. Giver of Freedom, Zigur tells Ar-Pharazon. Lord Elendil says he speaks false.

But whether false or true, this truth I know; Romennie was playing at my side when the message came. Twenty-five and not yet wed, she played with me as though she, too, were a child of ten. But we ceased our play when They came.
The messengers of Zigur.

Romennie was sent for, to serve at the Temple. It was a high honor, Zigur entreated, for one so pure and innocent as Romennie to serve the Giver of Freedom. And the King willed it.

Atar looked to Lord Elendil for guidance, and Lord Elendil gathered Romennie in his arms, and kissed her brow. 
"Be blessed, dearest child," he told her. "Freedom will come soon, it is my hope, though not by the Deceiver's hand. Have hope, my child, that we will meet again as Eru wills."

Romennie didn't understand - I knew that - but I did.

The messengers of Zigur took Romennie away. I could do naught but watch.
And in the morning, Anor's light was obstructed by the black smoke that came forth from the Temple. Sacrifice, done for the Giver of Freedom.

Romennie's sacrifice.

That day, I became a man, for I could no longer be a child.

He had taken Romennie, but he would not take me. Not so long as I, Meneldil, could fight.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment