Outsiders of Gondolin Mutual Defence League by Himring

| | |

Under the Trees

Trees of Nan Elmoth and trees of Gondolin.


He trusted the trees at first. Like a true child of twilight he played among their roots; they were both protection and company. It was only later that their dark branches began to lie like prison bars across his mind—like his father’s grasp, controlling, confining, unable to let go.

Maeglin stood peering up into the radiance of Belthil and Glingal, glittering work of his uncle’s hands, fashioned with the Noldorin skill he had come here to learn. It bothered him that they were trees. Out of sight, but inescapable, hovered the shadow of his own trees, black now, unforgiving.

Salgant, who was serious enough about art to forget awkwardness, said, squinting upward: ‘Brilliant, of course. Only, they are memories—neither the real thing nor something entirely in themselves. You feel the lack; sometimes I just want to do something like string a clothes line between them.

It was strange for the Sindar, at first, coming here from Nevrast to live among Noldorin memories, I think. You might like Finrod’s work better, if I could show you Nargothrond.’

Salgant bought Maeglin a tree in a bowl, stunted in its growth, an expensive item: ‘You see? Regardless, its leaves are green.’


Chapter End Notes

"Child of Twilight" is the meaning of the name Lomion given to Maeglin by Aredhel. 
Belthil and Glingal are images of the Trees of Valinor that Turgon made.

2 x 100 words in Word. The Tolkien100 prompt was "under the trees", which I also used as a title.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment