Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, this is lovely, Wesley!  The imagery is fabulous.  I especially like...

Our smallest Valië grows disparate, vanishing into the thousand dewdrops and curling leaves and buds of the forest, no longer distinguishable as a round face with lavender eyes. A light grey rabbit skids out out of the rushes and thumps a warning, zigzagging away into the trees. 

The Maia breathes deeply and fills his bellow-lungs, reaching a hand into the earth and muttering a Song whose sound is rocks falling and crushing and grinding to dust. Sand piles around his fingers; the earth sinks, flowers choke and smother under the sifting ground, a field of summer grasses becomes a wide swath of dunes. 


The above and plenty of other passages are more poetry than prose, and they unfold in a splendidly cinematic fashion.

As much as I embrace technology and thus am of the devil's own party in that regard, Vána's final words ring true:  in every abandoned factory, in deserted, crumbling parking lots, and from the ground of Chernobyl, life springs anew.

Very well done!

This is absolutely fantastic!! I really love it, especially the ending. It brings to mind many real-life examples of places where people have damaged the enrionment so badly they can't live there, and now are overgrown with folliage.

I really like your characterization of Vana, too. She's being chased but she's not prey. She's non-combative but not passive. It's really intriguing and it meshes really well with the way you depict her as a sort of primal force of nature.  

Great story!!