The Life and Times of Maedhros by MaedhrosFeanorian

| | |

Burning


1497, Age of the Trees

My fears were not ill-founded.  Atar has now strayed beyond the reach of reason, abandoning most of our people far from the shores of this country.  He claims all the others are useless baggage.  I cannot believe him, for my kinsman and dear friend Findekano is among those left behind.  He is valiant and true-hearted, more so than many in our company now.  The Teleri ships are burning, and their flames rise high into the night.  If I ventured a guess, I would say even Nolofinwe and his company can see them.  They will know Atar has betrayed them.  They have no choice but to return to Valinor for judgement.  I know Nolofinwe is too wise to cross the Helcaraxe, where even Maiar fear to tread.  He cares too much for his people.  I fear I will not see him again.  As I write, I must hold back tears, for the Teleri are not the only casualties of our flight. Many were lost on the crossing, but most dear to my heart is Amburussa, my brother.  Usually my two youngest brothers are always together, but the youngest twin was aboard a boat tonight.  My brothers and I suspect he meant to sail home, to Amil. Atar didn’t think of anything else in his fervor, and as the ships of the Teleri burned, so did my brother.  Atar has gone beyond kinslaying now.  All Eldar are kin, but family is sacred. I don’t know if I will ever forgive him.  I love my brothers, more than even he can understand.  Now I must carry the weight of one more death, and this one ways heavier than any before.  I pray his soul will find only a short wait in Mandos, and then perhaps he can meet Amil again.  That was, after all, his intent.  He was always her favorite.  Her baby.  Atar is coming.  I know he will not approve of this journal.  Hopefully I will write again soon.            

Maitimo Fn5;anorian


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment