The Life and Times of Maedhros by MaedhrosFeanorian

| | |

A Brother Lost


1498, Age of the Trees

Canafinwë Fëanorian, High King of the Eldar

I write this entry with a heavy heart.  Our brother, Nelyafinwë, has fallen under the shadow of Morgoth.  I fear we shall not see him again.  We feigned to treat with Morgoth, both sides bringing a larger force than agreed, but Morgoth’s was largest, and there were Balrogs.  There was nothing we could do.  Our brother’s company was overwhelmed, and he was taken deep into the darkness of Angband.  Morgoth has sent us messages of ransom, saying that he will release our brother if we but forsake our war against him, either returning to the West or removing from Beleriand into the south of the world.  We know these cannot be trusted.  Morgoth will never release our brother.  Not if we did all these things and more.  Even if we wished to obey his terms, we could not, for we are all bound by our oath, and may never forsake war against our Enemy, no matter the reason.  We cannot muster a full attack on Angband, either.  We are forced to abandon our brother, our king.  Nothing burns us more than being helpless, yet here we are, the mighty sons of Feanor, forced to give up.  Those with gifted eyesight in our company say they can see a figure hanging from the mountain near Angband, the one we have named Thangorodrim.  Some believe they have even glimpsed red hair.  If it is Nelyafinwë, I pray he is dead.  Then his spirit will at least be safe in Mandos for a time.  I do not wish to think of what may come to pass if he yet lives.  


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment