The Life and Times of Maedhros by MaedhrosFeanorian

| | |

Farewell


Years of the Sun, 472

What can I say for you, Findekano?  Ever since we were children, playing in the light of the Trees, I knew you would be greater than me.  We shared a unending dedication, but you were always so untainted, so pure.  Your pursuits were selfless, and as my family and I fell out of favor, you only ascended.  Prince of the House of Nolofinwn5;, most beloved of all the Eldar.  I rue the day my father moved your heart to follow us.  Now you have fallen prey to the same fate, but this time, it was my doing.  I drew you into battle against a foe we can never hope to defeat, and when we were surrounded, I fled.  I should have died with you, dear Findekano.  We should have finished as we started: together.  Instead I linger here, wandering the wilds, bearing the weight of all my fallen comrades.  When I was lost, you refused to give up hope, despite the bitterness Morgoth had planted between us.  While others were content to think me dead, even my brothers, you set out to find me.  You laughed in the face of our Enemy, singing songs of Valinor upon the very doorstep of Angband, and I sang with you. Despite all that had come between us in days hence, you refused to give up on me, even when I begged for death.  In the months and years following, you forced me to learn how to live again.  When I wanted to give up, you never abandoned me.  Because of you, I am here today.  Without you, I would still be hanging in despair under Morgoth’s shadow, far from the light of the stars.  I will always carry you with me, dearest friend.  Your banner is unfurled forever in my heart, and though all the world should fade, you shall never be forgotten.  This I swear, as weary of oaths as I have now become.                     

Maitimo Fn5;anorian


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment