Two months by maeglin

| | |

Pedantry

It's nothing new.


 

Heard in Imladris: T.A. 2939


 

"And, so, Estel, the Elves can remain Houseless, if they wish.  Not so for Men.  When Men die, they pass entirely out of Eä.  We know not where their feär go."

Unconsciously, without looking up from his paperwork, Erestor interrupted.  "And what, penneth nin, of the spirits of Men under the haunted mountain of Rohan, near the Dimholt?  Are they not houseless feär?"

Elrond suppressed a laugh.  "Erestor, whom are you addressing?"

"It is long since I called you 'penneth', my Lord.  But the question stands.  Are they not Houseless?"

Elrond sighed.  "Estel, I will teach you a new word."

 


Heard in Mithlond (sort of), T.A. 2960



"Denethor son of Ecthelion son of Turgon shows great promise…"

The  spy's report went on to explain that the young Denethor was likely to serve as a great bulwark against the Enemy when his time came, and why. 

But Cirdan could not help but chuckle. 

Denethor - a fine name for a great hero.  The son of Lenwë had led, fought and died as nobly as any Elf could hope to.  But son of Ecthelion would have been rather difficult, as the former Captain of Gondolin had been born many yeni after Denethor, and in any case had not been inclined to father children.  As for grandson of Turgon,  while the ill-fated Noldorin King had been a friend (of sorts) to the  Sindar, he would not, Cirdan knew, have deigned to receive the son of Lenwë for an audience, much less call him grandson.  Though for the latter he could perhaps be excused, as it would be disconcerting for any Elf to have a grandson much older than himself.  There had been more magic in the world in the Elder Days, but not that much.

The Shipwright chuckled once more, suppressed all thoughts sending a message to Gondor suggesting it would be auspicious for Denethor to  name his daughter (should he have one) Aredhel, then turned to the next report.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment