The Master of Mirecourt by The Wavesinger

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I was going through stacks of old Reader's Digests recently, and was fascinated by an article I stumbled upon about the luthiers of Mirecourt, and I was fascinated by the idea of Maglor in this setting. Mirecourt is in France, and it is the traditional home of the French school of luthiere (otherwise known as making string instruments. Luthiers are the ones who make the instruments).

The use of 'Mae' amuses me, not only because of the reference to Maedhros, but also because it means 'bitter' in Hebrew, and is taken from the goddess Maia in French. Elinda is Maglor's wife's name in my headcanon--finding the French name Élinda, which matched, was a coincidence which made me squeal with joy (Wave likes accidental jokes very much). Le Seigneur des anneaux is The Lord of the Rings in French. École Nationale de Lutherie is the French national school of luthiere. All those letters are various qualifications in luthiere.

Please do point out any mistakes I've made--I know next to nothing about this subject, and while the research I did was fascinating, I'm 100% sure I missed a lot of things. And I hope you enjoy this!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A young luthier is apprenticed to the one they call the Master.

(Written for Independence1776 for Fandom Stocking)

Major Characters: Maglor, Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 712
Posted on 13 January 2016 Updated on 13 January 2016

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.