Family and Wolves by heget

| | |

Fanwork Notes

What happens when I connect my ideas of what happened to the missing Elmo to the canon events for Elu and come away with fresh fridge horror.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Great Wolf of Angband leaps, and Thingol thinks of family.

Major Characters: Beren, Carcharoth, Elu Thingol, Huan, Mablung

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Violence (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 513
Posted on 14 August 2015 Updated on 14 August 2015

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

As the Great Wolf of Angband lunges toward Elu Thingol, King of Doriath, the fetid breath reeking of poison and blackened meat, thorn splinters and broken spears flying through the air and the screams of his soldiers and the baying of the Hound of Valinor overshadowing all, he has time for one frozen thought. ‘This is how Elmo died. My little brother slain by the fell wolf-shapes of the Enemy. And my nephew, too, eaten by a werewolf. Is this the last thing they saw, these teeth. Did he call out for me, a desperate reflex for his big brother to save him?

Then there is a body between him and the red jaws, saving him. The human, Elu thinks coldly in one part of his mind, like the faint echo from a distant cave, but louder is the part of him that screams, ‘Beren, Family, Lúthien’s, Son,' whispers, 'family, Finrod, son, Elmo, brother,’ and continues to scream as the Great Wolf flings the body aside. Thingol barely hears the snarl of Huan slamming into the wolf, the fury of teeth and claw as two titanic mirror images rend and savage each other in the twilight. He stares at the body crumpled in front of him, the boy covered in blood, the pale face missing that infuriating, arrogant, familiar, oddly-endearing smirk. “Beren,” he calls, taking in the sight of all the blood, crawls towards the boy, shrugs away the hands of his men that try to restrain him and check for his injuries. He doesn’t matter; Beren does. Lúthien’s Beren, his daughter’s love, his new son-in-law, saved my life, son, family, little son little nephew little brother can’t be dead can’t be dead like Elmo is dead. Thingol kneels at Beren’s side, cradles the boy’s face, feels for the heartbeat, ignores the dark red that is seeping into the grey fabric. Behind them are the howls of the Great Wolf and Hound, trumpeting the echo of the wars of the Valar, the titanic struggle from before the mighty spirits’ entry into Arda, and it is nothing but noise.

Beren’s eyes focus finally through the pain and looks up at Thingol. The king is aware he is speaking desperately, yammering to the boy reassurances that the healers will save him, the wounds be cleansed, that Beren will live. That the human was beyond foolish, stupid. Why did he try to hold the wolf off with a spear in one hand, arrogant unthinking boy; didn’t he remember how successful the last attempt had been? Foolish boy who thought he could do the impossible, always so reckless. Elu is not even sure if he is calling Beren by the right name, for there is something wrong with his vision, the face is blurred, and he cannot tell if that bold smirk - ‘why is he smiling, that idiot, you never listen, you never listen to me, that’s why Mother and Father have me watch over you constantly, you’ll need a keeper until you’re as tall as me, you’d run off and get yourself snatched up by the Dark Hunters, you’re so reckless’ - belongs to his brother or the human his daughter dragged home.

"You aren’t going to die on me," Elwë commands, and he knows not who he is truly addressing, only that he will be disobeyed yet again.


Chapter End Notes

"But Carcharoth avoided him, and bursting form the thorns leaped suddenly upon Thingol. Swiftly Beren strode before him with a spear, but Carcharoth swept it aside and felled him, biting at his breast. In that moment Huan leaped from the thicket upon the back of the Wolf, and they fell together fighting bitterly; and no battle of wolf and hound has been like to it, for in the baying of Huan was heard the voice of the horns of Oromë and the wrath of the Valar, but in the howls of Carcharoth was the hate of Morgoth and malice crueller than teeth of steel; and the rocks were rent by their clamour and fell from on high and choked the falls of Esgalduin. There they fought to the death; but Thingol gave no heed, for he knelt by Beren, seeing that he was sorely hurt." 

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you! I wasn't sure how effective the stream-of-conscious thoughts as written were, but I'm glad it worked for you as the reader. The contrast between epic battle in the background to the intimacy of Thingol holding Beren and how his own thoughts alternate between frantic and frozen was something I knew how it'd be filmed, but to put into prose is a whole other kettle of fish.

Oh, I see, you also tend to the opinion that Huan must be some Maia of Orome, somehow bound to the shape he has once chosen.

I like your version of blurring the difference between Thingol's younger brother Elmo and Beren, and the reference to Finrod.

But somehow in my mind Elmo is changed into an orc, don't know, if it is canon, or from the several fanfictions dealing with it.

There's only one line about Elmo from canon - the footnote explaining that he's Elu and Olwë's younger brother, father of Galadhon who was father of Gaalthil and Celeborn. Despite that slim reed, I must admit he is my favorite minor elf character (just off the sheer fun of telling someone there's a Tolkien elf named Elmo, plus the possibilities of stories about teh Eglath and Sindar he provides). Huan as a Maia of Oromë is one of those things that I'm not sure has a quote anywhere in HoME, but seems so obviously implied by canon that I can't imagine otherwise.

That Beren has a couple similarities to Thingol tends to amuse me- and that Thingol does this 180 in attitude towards his son-in-law I always found moving. Their mutual connection to Finrod was there, but only after hindsight after coming up with my possible explanation for Elmo's death did I realise there was a story there about parallels.