A Different Kind Of Peace by Tyelca

| | |

Enterprise in Hadhodrond - Part I

Celebrimbor invites Annatar to help him with a certain project.

This chapter (as well as the following ones) are split up in two parts, because the length would otherwise be incongruous with the rest of the chapters.


“Annatar,” Celebrimbor says, “there is someone I’d like you to meet.” He opens the door to his study and Annatar follows him. It is the same study where he had conducted his first interview with the Maia; strange how in such a short time the most suspicious of strangers can turn into the closest of friends. In the same chair where Annatar had sat at the time, a Dwarf was sitting; Celebrimbor sank down on his own sturdy-backed one. Annatar remained standing, openly studying the Dwarf.

Celebrimbor did the introductions. “Narvi, this is Annatar, one of the Maiar of Aulë and a very good friend of mine. Annatar, this is Narvi, Lord of his people and brother to my heart.”

Annatar and Narvi shook hands, and Celebrimbor waited until they had made their acquaintance; it was a little stiff and formal as of yet, but he was certain that they would grow to like each other.

“Annatar, Narvi and I are working on a big project, and I want you to be part of it.”

Annatar looked up. “What kind of project?” he asked calmly, but he was not completely successful in hiding his excitement. The glint in his eye, the undertone in his voice, the little telltales that betrayed his true thoughts. Celebrimbor smiled. For all that Annatar was of the Ainur and therefore older than he could even imagine, Celebrimbor often felt like the most mature one out of the two of them.

Narvi spoke before Celebrimbor could answer; “Are you certain we should confide in him in this matter?” Celebrimbor turned to him, a frown marring his face. “I vouch for him,” he responded seriously. “I trust Annatar with my life.” Narvi kept his gaze for a moment, then turned his attention back to the pipe he nursed. “I shall keep you to that,” he muttered, but offered no further comments.

When Celebrimbor turned back to the Maia, he saw Annatar had been following the exchange closely. The Maia raised an eyebrow in mirth, and Celebrimbor returned the gesture. He didn’t know why everyone seemed to distrust the Maia from the moment they laid eyes on him, but since it didn’t seem to bother Annatar, he found himself not worrying about it too much. Still, it hurt; both that they did not trust his judgment and that they condemned his best friend out of hand. If it were only one person, Celebrimbor would have dismissed it as a singular incident, but it happened with absolutely everyone. Even Narvi, whom Celebrimbor knew to be open-minded and whose judgment Celebrimbor trusted without reserve. Until now, apparently.

“What kind of project?” Annatar repeated eagerly, and Celebrimbor grinned. The combination of Annatar’s infectious smile and the plans he had already made with Narvi made him lose his cool composure, and he found himself grinning like a fool.

A few days later they started the journey south, to where Hadhodrond’s Western Gate would be constructed. Celebrimbor spoke, Narvi offered his comments now and then, and Annatar talked without pause. It was a habit that Celebrimbor had quickly gotten used to, for otherwise working with the Maia proved impossible. Narvi too had soon grown accustomed, and his animosity towards the Maia seemed to lessen.

Annatar fell silent when they entered the small valley where the Doors would be constructed. On the far side, the mountain rose straight and high; a lake lay a few meters away from the rock and a natural path circled the trees that grew on the shores. “Beautiful,” breathed Annatar, and his face was filled with wonder. “Indeed,” Narvi said softly as he too stared at the grey rock, as if he could see the Doors there already.

They worked tirelessly until their supplies ran out. Then they returned to Ost-in-Edhil and Narvi took his leave, saying his people needed him. Celebrimbor nodded savagely; he too could not be missed for too long a time. Narvi promised to return in the next spring so they could continue their labor; the beginning was there already, etched in stone, and the Dwarves of Hadhodrond were finishing up the hallway on the other side.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment