Simple Pleasures, And All That by Fernstrike

| | |

Old Light

An old Narvi watches the fading light - and watches the gaze of his friend. Prompts: afternoon, old, midnight, temperature.


 

Narvi watched the dust motes dance in the hot, golden wash of early summer sunshine. The afternoon light had an old quality, reminiscent of brighter, bolder, earlier days, nostalgic with their passing. A time before his bones had stiffened inside him and set a tremble in his once-clever hands, renewing a desire to return to his mountain home one last time before the end. Certainly, also, they called out to his burdened spirit of a time long before the Lord of Gifts had come to Eregion.  

They were all sat upon cushions in the Great Hall at the heart of Ost-in-Edhil, enjoying tea and sweetmeats after a long day of smithing, that would likely end up going well into the night for many of them. Seated beside him, Narvi turned to watch Celebrimbor watching Annatar, as he spoke of ideas and creations and new methods and models and equations. His friend’s attention was utterly stolen away. Though he still sat with comfort by Narvi’s side, replenishing his cup and adjusting the cushions supporting his back, his gaze never shifted.  

Narvi turned away, looking back to the light streaming through the north-facing windows. Though his back ached, he shifted to observe the eastern sky. Storm clouds were blowing their way from the mountains, dark and heavy as iron. Come midnight, it would be unlikely they could see the stars. 


Chapter End Notes

My favourite comment from the live session, courtesy of Archon Bun: "also I'm crying, celebrimbor look at this poor dwarf"


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment