Slippage by Lferion

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written For the Silmarillion Writer's Guild February 2020 Crackuary Bingo Challenge. Fill for N-1: 13 going on 30; N-2: Rebirth and reembodiment taken to their logical extremes. 200 words according to my writing program.

Many thanks to Runa and Morgynleri for encouragement and sanity-checking.

On AO3

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fingon, recently Returned, an old head on young shoulders, is not having an easy time.

Major Characters: Fingon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Crackfic, Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Crackuary

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 202
Posted on 8 March 2020 Updated on 8 March 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Slippage

Read Slippage

It was maddening, really, not to mention frustrating. To be treated on one hand like a legend, not a person, given awed looks and begged for tales of high deeds and wonders (and the tales they wanted bore scant resemblance to the actual things they purported to recount), and on the other (he wasn't thinking of hands. He was not) like — not as if he were an infant, precisely — but as some sort of fragile, incapable, unreliable or untrusted thing, a youth no older than the thirteen coronar he had been Returned, not someone who had lived near three thousand in that first life, managing any number of things now unthinkable hardship if not entirely unknown, by people who had not been alive at all when one died. Perhaps when this hroa was a hundred thirty years of the Sun, the nonsense might be forgotten, but it seemed depressingly unlikely at present, surrounded by persons little older than that, behaving as if they were 30 yeni instead. He would rather endure the Ice again, some days.

And none of it was helped by being wrapped around a core of aching, scoured, scorched, scalded emptiness where once one’s heart had been.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Poor Fingon. Reembodiment must have been difficult to navigate at the best of times, but for somebody like him - as you say, more legend than person - it must have been particularly strange to start life over. Especially if not all of him has returned to life.