Who was the High King? by AndyC

| | |

Chapter 4


“Is that what you think happened?”  Maglor’s expression was unreadable.

“What do you mean?”  Herucalmo was confused.  “The Succession is a matter of fact – not opinion.”

“Who’s fact?”  Maglor shook his head.  “What decrees and laws were passed by Fingon that all followed?  What obeisances were made?  In what way did Fingon do anything that resembled the actions of a High King?”

Herucalmo struggled to recall.  “Ah – he led the Noldor in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, didn’t…”

“The Battle that came to pass following the Union of Maedhros?”  Maglor was now definitely amused.

“Ah…”

“The Battle in which Nargothrond refused Fingon’s call?  The Battle to which Fingon was surprised to see his brother lead out his own troops from Gondolin?  This implies ‘High Kingship’ to you?”

“Well, I suppose…”

Maglor shook his head once more, the amused expression still clear.  “I don’t know who wrote the histories you’ve read, but to be honest, after Fingolfin, we had no High King.  Under Maedhros’ choice of words when he crowned Fingolfin, he, Maedhros, should have been regarded as Fingolfin’s heir from the start.  But Fingolfin always had Fingon deputise for him, and after the Bragollach, we were in no state to try to unite the Ngoldor in any case.  Much was done by diplomacy and tact – Maedhros and Fingon were great friends, so neither would refuse the other.  Perhaps you could claim that the High Kingship was effectively split between them – but Finrod never truly followed either of them, and neither did his heir, Orodreth.  In effect, we had three camps: the Feanorians followed Maedhros, Hithlum followed Fingon, and Nargothrond followed Finrod.”

“What about Gondolin?” asked Herucalmo.

“What about Gondolin?”  Maglor looked scornful.  “Gondolin did nothing, until they turned up at one Battle, to everyone’s surprise.”

“So… if Fingon wasn’t really the High King, I suppose Turgon…”

“Turgon was King of Gondolin, and only ever that,” said Maglor, his voice flat.  “The only people who might have credited him with the High Kingship of the Ngoldor in Exile would be Gondolindrim who knew no better.  He skulked in his precious Hidden City, celebrating holidays and living in comfort, and would still be there today, had he only the opportunity.”

Herucalmo thought that sounded a bit harsh, but said nothing.

“Maedhros and the rest of us were fugitives, with no chance of leading anyone other than ourselves.”  Maglor thought for a moment.  “Had Finrod not fallen in Beren’s Quest, I wonder if he could have made himself High King.  It is plausible.  More plausible than Turgon – Finrod might have issued decrees, called for the scattered Ngoldor to unite under him, rallied the people.  But no – there may have been the opportunity for a High King then, but none took it.  And after the Fall of Gondolin, not even the Gondolindrim would claim that Idril had any authority beyond her own peoples’ refuge.  No-one had any power until Gil-galad united the remnants of the Ngoldor during the War of Wrath.  He may be regarded as a High King – but under the same rules that saw Finwe become leader.  By acclamation.”

Herucalmo felt foolish.  Of course there had been no single governance of the Noldor for all that time.  The books had said – but whatever they said, it was obvious that there had been no polity to rule.

 “That’s why you’re so amused,” said Herucalmo.  “We’ve based generation after generation of our constitutional law on a perceived succession that never happened.  And certainly not one that ever followed the rules we decided it did.”

Maglor smiled.  “Exactly.  And our “rules” that saw Fingolfin as High King – well, those were applied after the fact to justify what had already happened.  It was an excuse, rather than anything else.  And that women never inherited…”  Maglor shook his head.  “Happenstance and the tempers of any who might have been eligible.  When Finarfin came out of the West, he was our High King, and the rules that supported Fingolfin – and might have supported Maedhros had he pushed his claim – they pointed squarely at him.  Eldest of the House of Finwe by right.  Then, when he left… well, who would contest Gil-galad’s claim, in any case?”

Herucalmo thought there was a flaw in the logic.  “Could not Galadriel have claimed the High-Kingship after Finarfin’s departure?  She was certainly the Eldest left available.”

“Galadriel wanted a realm in Eriador.  And, other than me, there was no-one else older than Gil-galad who could have asserted any right by descent.  And who would ever follow me?”

Maglor had dropped any pretence of concealing who he was.  Herucalmo could not have been quite as impassive as he thought he had.

“So, young man.  That’s the true ‘Ngoldorin’ rule for succession: whoever looks to have some sort of right and is in the right place at the right time, and has someone to follow them.”  Maglor turned from him.  “I am weary now.”

“I’d say you’ve proved to anyone’s satisfaction that it was ‘the Eldest of the House’” argued Herucalmo.  “Well, the Eldest of the House who is present, willing, and able.”

“As you prefer.”  Maglor shrugged.  “I’d have thought that was covered under ‘looks to have some sort of right’, but if you want it formalised.”  He stood and made as if to walk away, deeper into the cave. 

I would be Eldest of the House of Atanamir after Vanimelde, when our parents are gone, thought Herucalmo.  Even before any children we might have.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment