True Diplomacy by Rhapsody

| | |

True Diplomacy


My brother calls it diplomacy, but I am the true master of it. This was not what father intended! There is an oath to be lived up to, a legacy to be cherished! I know I have to accept this. But being so close to this desire, so close to that power when all thought Maedhros gone. But then there is Maglor; he knows my intentions too well.

None of my brothers know what true diplomacy means. None of my brothers can ever understand how it feels to have subjects yield to your wisdom and knowledge. Little they know… yet.


Chapter End Notes

This drabble refers to this part from the Silmarillion, Chapter 13, Of the Return of the Noldor:

For Maedhros begged forgiveness for the desertion in Araman; and he waived his claim to kingship over all the Noldor, saying to Fingolfin: 'If there lay no grievance between us, lord, still the kingship would rightly come to you, the eldest here of the house of Finwë, and not the least wise.' But to this his brothers did not all in their hearts agree.
Therefore even as Mandos foretold the House of Fëanor were called the Dispossessed, because the over-lordship passed from it, the elder, to the house of Fingolfin, both in Elendë and in Beleriand, and because also of the loss of the Silmarils.

This is also an belated answer to the Silmarillion Writers Guild challenge:
Maglor: Why didn't you rescue Maedhros; why did the poor chap have to wait for cousin Fingon to go get him?


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment