Embers by Elleth

| | |

Betrayal

The reason for the betrayal of Gondolin. (B2MeM08)

Dark and dangerous though Tolkien's world may be, within it few things - if any - happen without a reason. There is always a note in the Music that is changed... without Maeglin's betrayal and the Fall of Gondolin, Eärendil might not have sailed West, and the dominion of Morgoth might have endured. Even death and betrayal serve a purpose that in the end turns out greater than it might have been - and that is, I believe, a comforting thought. Not only that - it shows the completion of Tolkien's subcreation.


The city has too many lights. It has lights, and white walls, and smiles - the very smiles that I endure each day. I return them with teeth bared, so that mine might as well be the snarling of a wolf. Yet they say "Maeglin is softened," blind fools that they are. It is a comfort to know that soon their walls shall stand blackened and crumbling, and their smiles and lights will trouble me no more. A softer radiance shall be mine instead, that could be mithril or silver for its beauty. The Dark One (for he, though fallen, is an artisan as well) - he understands.

I will have you, Celebrindal. He promised.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment