Lords and Lordship by WendWriter

| | |

Chapter 2


Rautanor caught up with Artíre as he approached the border of Rhûn. Since they were both Maiar, they could choose whether or not to wear a bodily form. Most of the time, Artíre chose not to, for it made spying on others much easier. Rautanor had elected not to wear a form either, since maintaining one or assuming the body of another creature would require concentration. It was easier to travel without one. Each of them was able to detect the other, though, for the Ainur were able to see without eyes the nature of every creature. However, intent as he was on making the journey to Rhûn, Artíre was not aware of Rautanor drawing near until the other Maia addressed him.

"Hail, Artíre!" called Rautanor. "What news?"

"Rautanor!" Artíre replied, turning to the Plotter. "Why have you come here?"

"I have been sent here to assist you," Rautanor informed him.

"By your master!" Artíre said pointedly. It annoyed him that Sauron was trying to use this occasion to advance himself. Were there not other tasks he could engage himself - and Rautanor - in? The Watcher knew well why Rautanor was called 'the Plotter,' and mistrusted him on principle.

"My master deemed it necessary, and Lord Morgoth does not disagree," smiled Rautanor. "I hope you are not going to make my task difficult."

"I thought you were going to do that to me!" snapped Artíre. Really, this was too much! He was perfectly capable of dealing with a single vain Maia who had set his sights too far above his station. All he had to do was flatter Narcawë into thinking that Morgoth thought well of him. He would convince Narcanwe that their lord desired his presence in order to reward him for his work at the temple of Moko. Why did Rautanor have to come along? Surely this was Sauron's doing, an attempt to make trouble for the Watcher by reigniting their feud. 'Very well,' thought Artíre, 'if Sauron wants trouble, he shall have trouble. I beat him before and I will beat him again.'

"Do not be foolish, Artíre!" shouted Rautanor. "Morgoth will punish us all if there is dissension in the ranks. He cares not if the Orcs should quarrel, but the likelihood of the Valar returning to fight us again means we cannot afford to be at war with each other. You know Sauron was diminished after his battle with Huan. He cannot risk that happening again. He has ordered me to aid you."

"Very well, Rautanor," said Artíre, "I will accept what you say for the moment, but if you give me any trouble, you will find that I do not suffer fools gladly. If you should betray me, I will pay you back double for whatever you do to me!"

"There is no profit in being suspicious of each other, Artíre," Rautanor reasoned. "Know you not that Narcawë knows the binding spell that was used on Sauron at Tol-in-Guarhoth?"

"I thought you were going to aid me, Rautanor!" argued Artíre. "Behold! You cannot let it lie, can you? Your master has imagined all kinds of plots and plans against him, and attributed every one of them to me without any proof! Yet despite his policies, I am in favour with our lord Morgoth. He himself asked me to go and bring Narcawë back to Angband for judgement. I was not there when you were asked to come to help me, so I must accept the word of one who accuses me behind my back at every opportunity, to make trouble for me when he can!"

"I did not say it was you who cast that spell, Artíre!" shouted Rautanor. "But you cannot deny that Sauron was diminished by it, or that he was made to look a fool before our lord, who suffered as a result of that treachery! I know you and Narcawë were deep in counsel before you left the temple of Moko, so it stands to reason that he, who knew the spell, taught it to you."

"Is that all the proof you can muster, Rautanor?" snapped Artíre. "I know Sauron your master planned to trap and imprison me at the temple of Moko, and if our lord Morgoth calls you to account, you will not be able to hide this truth from him. He will wrench it from your mind like a man pulling a weed from among his crops!"

"And what would Morgoth wrench from your mind, Artíre?" asked Rautanor. "Come, this bickering is pointless. If we fail in this mission, we will be subject to punishment, for you know how Lord Morgoth deals with those Maiar he mistrusts."

"Aye," said Artíre. "I have no desire to be made into a Balrog."

"On that I am certain you trust we agree," replied Rautanor. "I would rather have my own will than be unable to think for myself without Morgoth knowing about it."

"What of your loyalty to Morgoth?" asked Rautanor, clearly irked by the intimation that one had to be made into a Balrog to be loyal to Morgoth.

"There is nothing I love enough to betray Morgoth for," Artíre replied. "I have no policies of my own, or any ambition."

Rautanor went quiet, clearly considering this.

Artíre regarded the Plotter, mistrusting him, but realizing that continuing their argument would keep the conversation going in circles. The best thing to do, he decided, would be to ignore the bitter feelings of suspicion and creeping fear he had for Rautanor and try to work with him as best he could. The Plotter was right: Narcawë knew the binding spell, and might use it against either of them. Artíre might need Rautanor's help after all.

"Very well," said Artíre, "I will accept your aid, Rautanor, though I do not trust you."


At the temple of Moko, Narcawë the Defiant was holding court. Some of the Maiar who had once worked for Sauron had joined Narcawë, at least for the moment. It was easier than arguing with him. Narcawë had always been self-willed, unable to accept being told what to do by anyone, whether Valar or those who opposed them. When Morgoth rebelled against the Valar, Narcawë had joined him because it pleased him to rebel against the authority of the Valar, not because he had any disagreement with them.

When the rebels set up their fortress at Utumno, Narcawë helped build it and worked for Morgoth until he realized he had traded one kind of authority for another. During the War of the Powers, he fought for Morgoth because he feared the judgement of Manwë. Narcawë hid from the Valar until it was safe to emerge, and had sought out Morgoth because he felt the need for the safety offered by being part of a large group. As soon as he realized that the Valar had left Middle-earth and there was no risk of his being arrested and brought back to Valinor for punishment, Narcawë began to consider how he could establish a realm for himself in Middle-earth. Morgoth had done so.

The convenience of finding a realm already made and needing a ruler was a great boon to Narcawë, and he seized Rhûn for himself when Sauron left to pursue his feud with Artíre. Sauron clearly was not interested enough in the realm to maintain it as his own, after all.

"My lord," said one of the Maiar minions, "I bring word of two of Morgoth's servants who are approaching the temple. What shall we do?"

Narcawë considered this. He was aware when he seized the realm that as soon as Morgoth had the chance to do so, he would send his servants to see what was happening in Rhûn. He had a plan for dealing with them, but it depended on the number of enemies arrayed against him. "How many are coming?" he asked.

"Two," replied the servant. "Rautanor the Plotter and Artíre the Watcher. Shall we put your plan into motion?"

"No," said Narcawë. "Let us see what they have to say first. I will give the order if I deem it necessary. Make ready to receive our guests. I would be ashamed if they found the hospitality of Narcawë lord of Rhûn wanting."


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment