What Brings Us Together by Aipilosse

| | |

The Verdant Hills

haha, sorry guys, miscalculated on the chapters. I think 25 will stick! (If only because 25 is a more pleasing number of chapters than 26.)

Look look look! Morgothscockring (any resemblance in the art style to another Silm artist is completely coincidental, I'm sure) drew The Bath Scene from chapter 17. It's The Bath Scene, so rated M y'all.

Thank you to Visitor, who made sure the multiple types of telepathy being used were crystal clear, in addition to their many SPaG saves!


 

Galadriel wound her way through the streets of Valmar on her way to Indis' palace. She found it hard to shake off the haunted feeling she had walking through these streets; they were unchanged since the days of her youth when she would stay at the family house in Valmar as she tried to learn more from the elders of the city and the Maiar who dwelt there. Many parts of the city were changed, but not drastically. Precious metals gilded the walkways, roofs, and doors. Gardens were still planted with a Laurelin side and a Telperion side, with shaded nooks on one and space for celebrations and dancing on the other. The silk awnings were new, though; they jutted from eves or tilted over flat roofs — Arien's overwhelming heat necessitating more environmental modifications than Laurelin ever had.

Having Celeborn accessible and being able to speak with him through their marriage bond was a comforting assurance in the midst of the nostalgic environment and the tension she felt from the unknown dangers the bells had heralded upon their arrival to Valmar. Their bond was open, but they did not speak constantly, only occasionally sharing an observation, a moment of beauty, and the scent and sounds of their surroundings. Since her arrival in Aman, she had found herself communicating via ósanwë frequently as her talented and curious family did not hesitate to share their thoughts with each other. That was not the same though as communicating with a bonded partner, and she had missed this connection. With Celeborn she could communicate more than just her thoughts, they could join each other across space and experience the same sensations either fully, which could be intense and disorienting, or more commonly through a filter that either of them could erect. 

Though their bond was open and they were sharing their thoughts frequently, Galadriel had not yet shared the full story of why she was in Valmar and all that had happened over the past few months. Some things were easier to explain with words; the ordering of thoughts that necessitated speech could smooth some of the more jarring revelations. 

She finally arrived at Indis’ home, in the south-western corner of the city. The wide courtyard with its precisely pruned trees, millennia-old, and cool ponds filled with colorful fish gave the home an aura of calm, even in the stately city of Valmar. A steward approached her.

“Lady Artanis,” she said with a bow. “Whom should I inform of your coming?”

“I would speak with Indis, if I may,” Galadriel replied. She was resolute in her decision to speak with Ingwë, but thought it prudent to see what Indis would advise in regards to revealing information about her lens and the work she had done with Sauron. 

“Lady Indis is out visiting friends, at the moment,” the steward said. “But Lady Findis is in, if you would like to speak with her?”

“I would gladly see my Aunt,” said Galadriel.

“One moment, I will see if my lady is available immediately to greet you. If not, I will have someone lead you to the sitting room and provide refreshment for you.”

A groom had still not come for her horse when Findis came from the house. 

“Artanis!” Findis kissed her on both cheeks and enthusiastically squeezed her, as if they had not last seen each other a handful of days ago. “I had not looked for you so soon!” 

“I had not thought to come,” said Galadriel. “But I have an errand that cannot be delayed.”

“Ah — I know you wish to speak with my mother, but is it something I can help you with as well?”

“It is no secret. Shall we—” A sound like thunder or falling rocks boomed from elsewhere in the city. The bells began to ring again.

“What under starlight?” Findis said, looking towards the street.

“Did you know what was happening earlier?” Galadriel asked. “I heard the bells when we entered the city.”

“Not on that occasion, no, but the city has been preparing for anything and everything since the news of poor Findekáno’s and Maitimo’s wedding arrived.”

The distant sound of screaming reached their ears. “Celebrimbor and Fingon,” Galadriel said to herself.

“Findekáno came with you? And Tyelperinquar?” Findis said. 

“Yes, for the same reason as I, and my heart tells me they may be in trouble.” The sound had come from the center of the city, away from the quiet corner where Indis’ home stood. Galadriel glanced at her horse and small pack she had. “Atanésa, do you have a weapon I could use?”

“Yes, of course, we have spears in the armory. Ceremonial and for sport. Even the ceremonial spears are not so different from their practical counterparts as to be ineffective. But Artanis, perhaps it would be wiser for us to stay in relative safety. We could just as easily be a hindrance.”

“I will not ask you to come with me, but I feel that I must go.” 

Findis twisted her hands, gazing out towards the street. She had never left Valinor, had not fought in the War of Wrath, and she looked as though the thought of actually battling herself was foreign to her. She let out a sharp breath.

“Follow me, I’ll show you the armory.”

~

 

Weapons acquired, and several servants dissuaded from following them, Galadriel and Findis walked resolutely out into the street. Smoke was billowing from the eastern end of the city, and occasionally shouts and screams would reach their ears. 

Galadriel glanced around. “Findis, would you by chance know where the Valar might have been keeping Sauron?”

“I’m sure I don’t have the faintest idea,” Findis said. “Wait.” She held up her hand. “He was a former Maia of Aulë, was he not?”

“He was.”

“I would check the Temple of Earth. It is devoted to the stones and the mountains — the foundations of our world, which are both aspects of Aulë. But Artanis, why are you looking for Sauron?”

Galadriel grimaced. “I’m not, but Tyelpë is incorrigible, and is not daunted by the inconveniences of death and divine judgment.”

“Oh yes, Nerdanel was saying something about a—” Findis waved her spear around, searching for the word she found least upsetting. “Friendship?”

“Something like that. Can you lead us to the temple?”

Findis nodded. “It’s in the city center, within the Holy Square.”

They set off striding through empty streets.

“It’s so eerie,” Findis said in a hushed voice, after they passed the fifth or so home with the doors flung open but the grounds completely deserted.

“Is there a place for people to flee?”

Findis shook her head. “Not designated as such. They might have run to the central pyramid which serves as the Halls of Manwë and Varda when they are in residence. I do hope everyone isn’t clustered there — that seem imprudent. Come on, just a couple more blocks.” 

Just as she spoke, a door slammed open and a hideous creature loped out of the house, dragging what Galadriel at first identified as a club but soon realized was a dismembered leg. It had no face, just an oval of corded flesh spasming around a gaping mouth. Its thick, fleshy body looked raw, and the limbs were ill-grown to fit its shape. Findis screamed. The mouth smiled. 

I love you, Galadriel thought to Celeborn and quickly shoved her connection with him to the periphery of her mind, so his alarmed confusion wouldn’t distract her. It had been a long time since she had fought something so much larger than herself, and she could tell that it also had the strength of spirit of one of the Maiar. She readied her stance.

Min, atta, neldë,” Findis counted out, and charged the Umaia.

“No!” yelled Galadriel. She flinched when the Umaia flashed out an arm at Findis, but her aunt neatly dodged. Findis let out a high pitched ‘Ai!’ and with a twirl stabbed the Umaia and sprang back. 

Galadriel drew herself up, and flung the full strength of her spirit at the Umaia, seeking to for a moment cut it off from the world. Her attack hit just as the Umaia lunged again. He staggered, the horrible face lolling backwards.

“By Manwë Súlimo!” Findis cried and plunged her spear down through the gaping mouth. The Umaia twitched, thick arms flailing against the street. Galadriel skewered the boiling mass of its fëa with all of her focus and wrenched it from the flailing shell. A flare of power hit her, and for a moment her flesh melted from her bones and her brain slid from her ears, but before she could even gather herself to scream, the spirit was dissipating, and the faint remainder was tugged away west. 

“Findis!” Galadriel found her breath coming hard and fast, although she had not been the one stabbing Umaiar with spears. 

Findis planted a foot in the now limp body and wrenched out her weapon. “Oh, my,” Findis said as a purplish ooze spattered on her dress. “This isn’t quite like sparring, is it?”

“No, it is not. But I think you will manage.” Galadriel glanced up the street. A knot of elves had appeared while they were battling and were fighting a single entity. As best she could tell, it looked like the vampires that had lurked in noisome caves in Beleriand with its flashing fangs, leathery wings, and pallid skin. The fight did not seem to be going well. The two women started towards the battle. As they approached a crossroads still several houses away from the fighting, the ground began to shake, and Galadriel saw something dark coming towards them. She yanked Findis back and down on the ground just as the air went wavy with intense heat.

“Is that a Valarauko?” Findis asked as the hulking mass of shadow and flame sped past them.

“Yes.” Galadriel renewed her grip on her spear and gathered her feet under herself, weighing her chances of victory against a Balrog. The Balrog staggered — A  figure sprinted past and leaped, thrusting his sword into its neck. The Balrog fell and lay twitching on the ground. This time Findis joined Galadriel in ensuring the Umaia left his body entirely. Galadriel hoped it was one of the Valar calling the weakened spirits to themselves, and not whatever had loosed the fallen Maiar in the first place. 

“Many thanks, my good ladies,” Fingon said, wiping the black blood off of his blade. 

“Findekáno!” Findis said. “How fortunate we are to have a man of your expertise among us.”

Fingon flashed her an easy smile. “I had forgotten how enjoyable defeating these foul beasts was.”

“Perhaps the manner of your death is why the pleasure escaped you,” Galadriel said, annoyed at Fingon’s cavalier attitude.

“Far from it, Ressë!” Fingon’s face lit up. “There is truly nothing better than getting vengeance on those who slew you. This has made me all the more convinced that Tyelpë— say, have you seen Tyelpë?”

“No, you and he were who I was looking for.” Galadriel looked around, her concern growing. 

“Where— Duck!” As he spoke, Fingon rolled out of the way as a withered form with green-feathered wings dove towards them. A breath of putrid air hit her as Galadriel barely missed being gutted by a curved claw. She lifted her spear, but a sudden icy regard seized her mind. Cracks began to run through her mental defenses as an overpowering will took advantage of the distraction the flying monster provided. A foul scent filled the air, but the evil spirit went unclad, and had no visible form.

She could not scream, she could not move, and she could not warn Findis as another green-feathered Umaia swooped down from behind. She couldn’t even close her eyes as Findis staggered and fell and the creature raked her claws over her. Then the world broke into a kaleidoscope of colors as the freezing pain loosed its hold over her in a disorienting battle of wills. Despite the whirling battle around her mind, she knew exactly who had saved her from the unclad Umaia.

“Sauron,” she said, as her foe sped west with a pitiful wail.

Galadriel. She could not see him, but Sauron’s impression on her mind was unmistakable. 

Celebrimbor finally appeared, his sword unsheathed and his clothing spattered with something unsavory. He struck the Umaia still struggling with Findis. Findis leaped up and thrust her spear into the creature. The air above the monster distorted for a moment as Sauron wrenched the Umaia from the dying body.

“Do you know where they’re going?” Galadriel asked Sauron.

A shimmer in the air settled around Celebrimbor’s shoulders, Sauron’s immaterial form still able to exert energy and sometimes warp the air enough to change the path of light.

Mandos, I think. They are being summoned west. But to the east—

“The east?” Findis asked. Strands of Celebrimbor’s hair fluttered as Sauron launched himself into the air. Sauron’s uncertainty drifted down as he failed to see anything of note.

Watch out!

Sauron’s warning gave them just enough time to ready their weapons before a grey-yellow fog boiled up around them. Grasping hands came at Galadriel. She dodged and struck with her spear. The scent of something rotten made her spin around and pin another creature just in time. Fingon appeared slashing wildly before he spun away hidden by the fog.

A wind rose up, whipping Galadriel’s hair around her head. The hot gust pushed away the rotten smell and sickly cloud, replacing it with a burning metallic scent.

“Thank you, Annatar,” Fingon said as he shook his head to clear the confusion from the fog.

“Where shall we go?” asked Findis. “Surely they have some aim? We cannot continue these small skirmishes; we must try to stem the tide.”

“Their aim is only destruction,” Fingon said, with sudden gravity. “That has always been their aim.”

Celebrimbor smiled, looking entirely too happy for someone in the midst of battling powers. He responded to something Sauron said only to him. “Why don’t you tell all of us what you think they are doing, if Fingon’s words are so foolish?”

For one, they are clearly organized; see how effectively the forces of the Valar have been split? The city was half emptied. Sauron conveyed an air of superiority with this observation, even as an unseen presence only able to communicate through ósanwë. 

“That’s true,” Findis said. “There has been report after report all over Aman of disturbances and evil creatures since the wedding.”

“If that is their aim,” said Fingon, “then we should sound the alarm, and summon the dispersed Maiar back to Valmar.”

What makes you think destroying Valmar is their true purpose? 

“Do you have a better idea?” Galadriel asked Sauron.

If I were attempting to conquer Valinor, I would seek to grow my forces. And I would not forget that which almost conquered Valinor in the past, Sauron said. 

“Speak plainly,” Findis demanded.

The Númenóreans. They sleep still in the hills surrounding Tirion, do they not?

Galadriel’s stomach lurched. “But they cannot wake — can they?”

How should I know? Sauron sent out spirals of awareness, searching for any enemies approaching. But I would try to grow my army.

“What can we do?” Findis asked. “My uncle, he should know the danger.”

“But what can he do? Can anyone here be spared?” Fingon asked.

“I’m not sure anyone at all has been sent outside of Tirion, though,” Findis said. “Surely He, whoever He is, must be stopped whatever the cost.”

“I cannot believe Tirion stands undefended,” Celebrimbor said. 

“It is defended, but—” Galadriel closed her eyes. “I cannot reach anyone there. Wait!” She opened her bond with her husband. 

Celeborn’s worry flooded her. Galadriel. What is happening?

I don’t know for sure. Where are you? The salt smell of the sea and the warm winds of the Bay of Eldamar surrounded her.

Approaching the Calacirya. Through Celeborn’s eyes, Galadriel saw rolling foothills and tall mountains rising from narrow beaches.

Beloved, do you see anything suspicious?

Celeborn surveyed the mountains. I have never been here before; how can I know what is amiss? Can you give me any more information?

Galadriel’s frustration at the situation rose. No, I still have no clear idea of who the enemy is. Although He might be using former Maiar of Morgoth. Do you see anything like that?

WHAT?! Celeborn’s worry and anger threw Galadriel back to Valmar. She saw that they were all standing in a circle, frowning to themselves as they tried to contact friends and family via ósanwë.

“Can someone keep watch?” Galadriel asked.

I am already, Sauron said.

Galadriel hesitated for a moment, and then concentrated, joining with Celeborn’s mind again. Pray that I will be able to tell you all that has happened in due time. 

Galadriel. Celeborn’s apprehension suffused her. She knew more than the surprise attack troubled him; he had already been worried about the journey to Valinor and his reception there. Yet even as she joined his worried thoughts to hers, Celeborn went from doubt to resolve; his trust felt like he was setting his hand in her own. Can you tell me anything at all about what I’m looking for?

It’s difficult to say, Galadriel thought. Sauron thinks— Again she found herself fully in Valmar as Celeborn likely howled his rage to Círdan and Elladan back on the ship.

This time Celeborn reached out to her. In this you must be mistaken. Sauron? And why should we take his counsel on anything?

It’s a very long story, Galadriel thought after trying and failing to succinctly distill all that had happened over the past few months. But I believe him, is that not enough for you? Much has happened, and Celebrimbor—

Celebrimbor?! Living? Why is he within one hundred leagues of Sauron?

Galadriel glanced over at Celebrimbor. The escaped tendrils of hair along the nape of his neck drifted despite the still air. She suspected that Sauron and Celebrimbor were essentially sharing the same three dimensional space. If you are able to help, you may live to admonish him later, Galadriel thought. She waited as Celeborn discussed what she had shared with Círdan and Elladan. 

Finally, she sensed his decision. Fine. What did Sauron think?

Sauron thinks whatever is attacking us will try to access the buried Númenóreans. 

And access to them would be underneath the hills, likely near the port we are sailing towards?

Correct. Galadriel kept her bond with Celeborn open but returned most of her focus to Valmar. 

“I was able to contact Ingwë,” Findis said. “Some Maiar are going to the Hills of the Forgotten. He is reluctant to send any significant force, though.”

“That will have to be enough,” Fingon said. “Hopefully if there is anything amiss, they can send for more.”

“Where should we go?” asked Celebrimbor. “Can we be of any use in the defense of the city?”

“I think we should continue moving towards the center,” Findis said. “It seems that is where the battle is raging still, and I would like to be with my mother, if I can.” As she spoke, part of the wall of the central pyramid crumbled, and a tongue of flame arced up below that. “Let’s go!” She was already running.

She didn’t get very far before three tall beings stepped out in front of them. Their sharp faces lit up in three identical smiles. The central one held up a hand. 

Something crashed into Galadriel, almost sending her to the ground. She stayed upright, but at the same moment Celeborn pulled at her attention. There is something growing in the hills. 

A presence? Galadriel lowered into a crouch and readied her spear. 

No, like a plant. But not like anything I’ve seen before. Look how rapidly it is spreading. 

A vision of spreading green flashed before her eyes before she had to turn back to the battle. She barely had time to parry a blow from one of the Umaiar, whose arm itself had become a blade. Celeborn realized she was fighting and retreated to the background. She fought as well as she could, but her skills were rusty, and she preferred the sword to the spear. She lurched back barely missing a cut and saw a lock of her hair float down.

Celeborn became more present in her thoughts. No, not like a plant. There are eyes… We have been spotted! Galadriel, I— Celeborn’s thought became strange, disintegrating into fragments Galadriel could not follow. She frantically reached for him through her bond, but his mind had turned slippery and he was always a step away.

“Look out!” Celebrimbor’s shout allowed her just enough time to stagger back from an oncoming blade. She rolled away. The Umaia lunged and she snapped her spear upright, impaling the being. It kept coming towards her. Galadriel leapt to her feet and tried to wrench her spear from his body. Her grip slipped on the shaft of the spear. She looked down and realized her hands were covered in blood. The Umaia had not fully missed earlier, and she was bleeding from a cut on her arm. She dropped the spear and dodged, just as the bladed arms came in range of her again.

An arrow struck the Umaia in the back and he stumbled forward, driving the spear into the ground and out its back. Galadriel searched for his feä and seized it, severing his connection to his body. 

She reached out to Celeborn for a moment, meaning only to touch his mind in reassurance. Her vision tunneled and the light seemed to grow brighter. The warm sea breeze tickled her nose and all was green.

Child. Give yourself to me. Verdant hills surrounded her. Eyes dripping poison rose up in a ring around Galadriel. There was a gentle pull on her heart, like the sea-longing she had lived with for ages. The pull grew stronger and her heart was leaving her body as the rest of her insides followed. If she did not stop it soon she would be inside out like an empty doll and He would enter the city.

Flames engulfed her. Abruptly she realized she was lying on the street in Valmar. The cut along her arm burned, but she was not on fire and all of her organs were firmly encased in her body. 

Close your bond! Sauron’s frantic command reached her and she felt a growing heat surrounding her. She intentionally shut the bond between herself and Celeborn, as it had not been shut for millennia. 

Findis, I think now would be the time for reinforcements to be sent to Tirion. Sauron sent his own impression of what he had seen: a mass of foliage boiling over the ground, changing the very matter it touched into something else, something utterly foreign to their minds. Silence flowed in its wake, the Music of the world ended. 

“Galadriel, your arm!” Fingon hurried over. He cut a strip of his under tunic off and started putting pressure on the highest point of the cut. “Can someone knit the skin together at least?”

Findis held up a hand, her eyes distant as she frantically tried to communicate to Ingwë.

I could.  

Galadriel frowned at Sauron’s wary offer. Could she let him get so close? They had become closer than she had ever thought possible or advisable, but to let him into her cells was another matter altogether. She glanced at Celebrimbor, but his attention rested on a circling Umaia hovering in the air several streets away.

“We should get out of the street,” Celebrimbor said.

“Fine, yes, do it,” Galadriel commanded. The air shimmered over her arm, a burning pain ran up and down her cut, and then the skin was knit together, a faint pink line the only evidence of damage beneath. 

As she stood, multicolored streaks of light flew from the central pyramid eastward. 

Sauron’s spirit still surrounded her, causing pins and needles to across her arms. Maybe I should—

“No, absolutely not. Stay with me,” Celebrimbor said. 

“It’s not like we couldn’t use the help,” Fingon said as he knocked an arrow, eyeing the airborne Umaia now flying towards them. 

Galadriel planted her foot on the corpse of the knife-armed Umaia and wrenched her spear out of its chest. She was dizzy, and a weariness of mind and body crept over her. Resisting the urge to check on Celeborn strained her most of all, though. Her fear for him overwhelmed any fear for herself. She saw something peering around the corner even as the winged Umaia swooped and then swerved away, Fingon’s arrow narrowly missing it. 

The bells began to ring again, an overwhelming cacophony that covered the sounds of battle. Galadriel held her spear in her left hand this time; her right was still weakened from the wound. 

The Umaia dove towards them. The world split. Part of her was lunging at her adversary, but at the same time she stood stock-still in utter silence. Her spear connected with the Umaia, but she also was watching her arm move, separated from her body, her self segmenting.

Suddenly she was whole again, helping Celebrimbor dispatch of the monster. She looked up. He also looked disoriented, and the moment the fight ended held up a hand, looking at it as if he thought it would start to fly away.

“What’s happening?’ Galadriel said. Or tried to say; as she spoke her voice grew louder, surpassing the clamor of the bells. At the same time, she was in a nightmare, screaming as loud as she could but knowing no one could hear. 

She saw a flare of light out of the corner of her eye. The Valar. If I could just be near— She tried to move towards the central pyramid where she sensed a confluence of power remained, desperately holding the world together. Each step took an enormous act of will, as if she were a giant covering miles with a stride. Searing heat and icy cold covered her in turn, light and darkness flashing past her eyes. The sky was breaking.

Her resolve cracked and she opened her bond with Celeborn again. 

Celeborn’s undirected thought reached her. You shall not escape! He was also in the midst of battle, but she could not tell how or who he fought. She didn’t think he knew either. 

Beloved. Galadriel felt her grip over her body release. She watched herself at some remove: the golden-haired woman took another shaky step and collapsed onto the ground. Her pale pink robes spread out around her as the pained expression on her face smoothed. Galadriel could still feel her heartbeat, but it seemed to have moved to some place between her and Celeborn. I thought you would not come, she thought.

I could never face an eternity without you. Celeborn was still fighting against something, and she thought she could sense others around him.

The stars were very beautiful. Silvery light fell on her. Some stars were in clusters that looked close enough to touch; others speckled the growing dark from a great distance. The arm of the cosmos swung into view. It was black and white, but at the same time light exploded in a multitude of colors, some she had never seen before. 

This. This was worth leaving Middle-earth to see. Galadriel’s mind strayed and rose heavenward.


Chapter End Notes

Atanésa - Q. Aunt (father-sister) (invented by yours truly)
Ósanwë - Q. Communication of thought; interchange of thought
Min, atta, neldë - Q. One, two, three
Umaia - Q. A Maia who became evil and followed Melkor.
Valarauko - Q. Demon of Might; Balrog (apparently I am incapable of writing more than 50k without a Balrog showing up.)
Ressë - Q. Female cousin (neo-Quenya)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment