What Brings Us Together by Aipilosse

| | |

I'll Follow You

Fionwë was an old name for Eönwë, but here I'm using it as the name of another Maia of Manwë. (There's only one more chapter left — surely I am finished having to make up names???)


 

The vast sky stretched above Celebrimbor, bigger than it had been in Beleriand on clear nights camping on the wide planes of Himlad. It reminded him of the spinning galaxies he had seen through Annatar’s mind, vistas almost unbearable in their scale and distance. His gaze was some distance from his body — a less distracting state than it should have been, but still a hindrance to fully comprehending the glittering dome above him. 

I should put myself back together, he thought, and reached for his arm. He realized his arm was attached, but his lower half was still several paces away. Why don’t I find this alarming?

Stay, just a moment more. Annatar’s voice was exactly where it should be, inhabiting their shared bond — a part of himself. Celebrimbor forgot his misplaced legs as warmth spread through him. In his most secret dreams he had wondered if this would happen at the end of the world; if after time had run its course, and the bits of existence were scattered, in the silence between the end of one Song and beginning of the next, they would find each other again. Once the barriers of matter were gone, there would be nothing to keep them apart, and their souls would draw together like a lodestone to iron, spinning together in the quiet dark after the end.

Celebrimbor wondered at Annatar’s request. I’d stay forever for you.

I know, Annatar returned. Mind to mind, Annatar could not hide a certain desperation and despair at the knowledge, but with an undercurrent of amusement that didn’t quite fit his overall emotional tenor. But you’re not spinning; your eyes are rapidly moving back and forth. Close your eyes, breathe, and then open them again.

It felt absurd to close his eyes against the brilliant beauty of the sky, but he chose to humor Annatar. The shuttered dark behind his eyelids at least granted a measure of peace. He felt like he was lying in Annatar’s arms this way, floating weightless. 

There was a rock digging into his back, a very strange disturbance for one suspended in the emptiness of space. The dark became less dark, pink light hitting his closed eyes, as if the sun were overhead.

The sun is overhead, Annatar pointed out. No, it’s gone again. Things are stabilizing, though. There. It’s back. 

This series of observations was so strange that Celebrimbor had to open his eyes again. He squinted against the light; he still couldn’t move his hands to shield off the glare. He closed his eyes and reached for his arm again. He found his hand and grabbed ahold of it. If I’m holding my hand, who’s holding my hand? He realized the most likely explanation to this nonsensical thought was that he was holding someone else’s hand, with all of his own limbs attached.

It’s Galadriel, Annatar supplied. Celebrimbor extended his awareness slightly beyond himself, and brushed against Galadriel’s familiar aura.

Celebrimbor? Galadriel also sounded uncertain. He squeezed her hand in affirmation. He experimentally tried to move the fingers on his other hand. To his surprise, they moved. He lifted his arm, still marveling at the basic mechanics of the body. He could have sworn that he had been split into countless pieces, each existing in a slightly different time and place. It hadn’t hurt, but he also knew it was not a sustainable situation, and soon he would have lost a hold of his body entirely. Every part seemed to be together now, nothing lagging behind nor speeding off into the future. 

His hand now ready to block the sun, he opened his eyes. The sky, clear and blue, arched overhead. Nothing seemed amiss. 

Turn your head to the left, Annatar instructed.

Darkness grew along the northern horizon. Lights flashed in the sky and it became very cold for a moment. Something huge loomed in the sky, a haloed disk of light like nothing Celebrimbor had seen before. It grew closer and closer, as if they were about to collide. Then it pulled back, the sun zoomed into position, and the temperature went back to normal. 

I hope they’ve gotten hold of our position, Annatar grumbled.

What is going on? 

I don’t really know, but best as I can tell, someone tried to move Aman. 

Celebrimbor grappled with the concept for a bit. Move it? Where? And why?

I have no idea.

Celebrimbor released Galadriel’s hand, circled his ankles, and slowly sat up. Smoke was still rising from parts of the city and pockets of cacophonous sound still rose in places. He watched a black shadow shoot up into the air, followed by a golden beam. A skittering thing rounded the corner and came barreling towards him, too many legs with too many joints waving as it ran. Celebrimbor was sitting up, but he didn’t think he yet had the dexterity to dodge out of the way. Annatar sent out a pulse and the skittering thing moved to the opposite side of the street. It didn’t stop coming towards him, but neither did it seem to take any notice of him as it scrambled past him.

The Umaiar are routed, Annatar said. Although if Aman is shifting like I think it is, it will be a very long time before all are found — if they ever are.

A realization hit Celebrimbor. If you want to run, you should do it now.

No. Annatar responded with no hesitation.

What if I went with you? It was ridiculous to offer to run off when even standing seemed like a doubtful prospect, but Celebrimbor could likewise not imagine sending Annatar off to hide in perpetuity and for himself to return to the quiet life he had been living up till now. 

He could feel Annatar’s amusement at the idea of Celebrimbor sprinting out of the city with him at the present moment. 

No, Annatar repeated.

Then where are we going?

We?

Celebrimbor experimentally leaned his weight on his arm — it didn’t collapse. I’ve decided I’m not going to leave you again — not for a while at least, and after that, nothing permanent. 

I’m not sure you’ll have a say in that. Annatar’s thought was light, yet sad. 

What will they do? Lock me up? 

They could.

Celebrimbor scoffed. After letting out my grandfather? Nerdanel wouldn’t let them live with the hypocrisy.

Brim—

“Celebrimbor!” Findis’ voice cut into Annatar’s worry. “You seem to be doing well.” Celebrimbor turned his head and saw Findis resolutely crawling towards him. “But Galadriel—”

“I’ll be up in a moment.” Galadriel’s voice was faint.

I suppose I should go back to the temple—

“Oh, thank the Valar, you’re still here, Annatar.” Findis raised herself so that she was sitting on her heels. “Is there anything you can do for the people trapped in the house back there?”

Celebrimbor could feel Annatar’s surprise. I suppose I could see if there’s a way they could get out from the inside. But one is badly injured—

“I know, that’s why you should try to help them while I work on standing up,” Findis said patiently. 

Annatar hesitated a moment longer. I’ll see what I can do, he finally said and left to investigate.

“Celebrimbor, do you have any skill in healing?” Findis asked.

“Not particularly, although I can mend a simple cut or break.”

“Me neither,” Findis said. “But I think we’ll need to try.” Findis reached for her spear. She set the butt on the ground and braced herself to rise. 

“I can help.” Galadriel’s voice sounded stronger, but she was still lying flat on her back.

“Celebrimbor and I can likely make sure the poor injured Elf is mended enough. Once you’re able to sit up, try to find a place that we can bring them,” Findis instructed. "I sent Fingon on a similar quest."

Celebrimbor swung his knees underneath himself and prepared to rise. It took a few tries, but soon he was standing, only swaying a little bit.

“Let’s go!” Findis said and started to totter off towards the collapsed house, Celebrimbor following.

~

 

They had rescued almost fifty different people from collapsed buildings and small fires when they saw several large eagles approaching the city from the east. Most of them headed toward the central pyramid, but one began to spiral down towards Findis. 

The giant eagle landed in a cloud of dust. Findis bowed deeply to the Maia. A silvery figure slid off his back and bowed in turn to Findis. 

Celebrimbor finished closing up the wounds on the elf he was mending the best he could. So much healing after barely using the skill at all was rapidly becoming wearying. He gave the elf some water and pointed him in the direction of the makeshift infirmary that had been erected a few blocks away. 

Is that Olórin? He asked Annatar. Something about the way he walked reminded him of Olórin’s gait, though his gray hair now seemed to hold starlight and his eyes shone in his unlined face.

Annatar snuffed out the remaining fire in the nearby building, only allowing oxygen back into the space after the walls had cooled. Yes, Olórin and Fionwë. Celebrimbor approached Olórin. 

“Ah, Celebrimbor, good to see you more or less in one piece,” Olórin said. He looked slightly up, as if he were staring at Celebrimbor’s forehead. “And you seem to be missing rather a lot of pieces, Mairon. Or maybe just one large piece.”

At least without a fana, no one can force me to wear a hideous hat. I say force because I must assume that no one would choose to wear such an atrocity, Annatar shot back.

Findis cleared her throat to cut off any further discussion of missing bodies and terrible headwear. “Ah, Holy Ones, it gladdens me to see your return as well. I have many questions — would you be able to tell us what happened?”

“Yes, that is why I came, or rather—” Olórin looked around “—I specifically came here to bring news to Galadriel of Celeborn. Where is she?”

At that moment, a gray-faced Galadriel came from one of the buildings, helping an injured Vanya limp along. Olórin rushed over to them and indicated for the Vanya to lean against him instead. Galadriel stood swaying.

“Perhaps I can tell you all that I know while you all rest a bit, before going back to the work of healing and repair,” Olórin suggested, looking at Galadriel with concern.

“Rest. I could use some rest,” Galadriel said, looking around in a daze. Fingon hurried over and slung her arm over his shoulders.

“Yes, let’s go back to my house,” Findis said. “My steward says it’s still standing, which is more than many can say.” 

~

Draped over Findis’ furniture in her sitting room, sipping an energizing cordial that tasted of wildflowers and lemon, they listened to Olórin’s account of what had happened in the Hills of the Forgotten.

“How much could you perceive of our attacker?” Olórin asked.

“Nothing,” Celebrimbor said.

I could feel something, something great, Annatar said. But it was utterly unlike any being of power I had felt before. I could not ascertain its aim, nor clearly see what kind of creature it was.

“I saw green,” Galadriel said. “All the hills were green, and soon all of Aman would be covered. And after that — all of Eä.”

Olórin frowned at her. “Yes, green — that is what we found as well when we finally reached the hills surrounding Tirion, but how did you know?”

“I was connected to Celeborn, and I saw through his eyes. And then—” Galadriel’s eyes went distant again.

“And then?” Olórin prompted.

“He reached through Celeborn, and I knew that soon I would be part of Him as well.” 

She did not mean Celeborn. The hair on the back of Celebrimbor’s neck stood up, despite the heat of the day.

“That seemed to be its aim, to devour the world, turn all into itself,” Olórin said. “They are saying that the edges of Aman were eroded, evidence of years of something consuming its substance.”

“How did you stop it?” Celebrimbor asked.

“Yes,” Galadriel said, snapping back to the present. “It seemed powerful enough to reach through minds and its substance — I could not decipher it. It grew like vines, yet it was watching me, and not like the awakened trees watch. It could grasp, and move, and eat.”

“Well, I had been sent southeast to the coast, where there were some truly disturbing reports.” Olórin frowned. “Really, the stuff of nightmares, and I do wonder… nevermind, my point is, we discovered several of Morgoth’s former minions who seemed to have set up a base of some sort among the Enchanted Isles and were busy wreaking havoc among the Teleri. 

“Then my lord Manwë summoned me, and told us that there was an attack near Tirion. So, we flew with all haste, and indeed, it seemed that something terrible had happened to Tirion. A good portion of the western part of the city had collapsed, just smoking ruins.”

Findis gasped at that and groped around as if to anchor herself. Olórin reached over and patted her arm. “Now, I don’t know all the details, I never did end up going to Tirion itself, but as I understand it, the destruction was purposeful, and everyone was evacuated.”

“What?” said Celebrimbor, draining his drink. “What could Arafinwë have been thinking?”

“King Arafinwë,” said Galadriel. “And really, I think it sounds like Uncle Nolofinwë.”

“Thank you for the reassurance,” Fingon told Gandalf. “I would have known if my father died, but it’s still good to hear the destruction of the city might not have resulted in much harm to its residents. Please, Olórin, continue.”

“Well, there were attackers in Tirion as well, and of course we were quite concerned about all the damage and the smoke and the fires, but then I was contacted by someone entirely unexpected.” Olórin paused, eyebrows raised.

Círdan, obviously, Annatar said.

Olórin glared in Celebrimbor’s general direction. “Yes, Círdan. I thought that was a very good reveal.”

“And what did Círdan say?” Findis urged.

“He told me I was sorely needed in the Hills to the northeast of Tirion. So I and Fionwë went to find Círdan. My old friend was becoming — incoherent, fragmented. It was very disturbing. I did not see anything at first, just the green hills. Then I saw a ship anchored by a shallow beach, but it seemed abandoned. There was a small group on the shore. I thought they might be praying. I identified Círdan and we thought to land nearby. Then, near their feet I saw tendrils, threads reaching back, into the tall grass blanketing the hills. And then I felt it. It was hard to identify at first because the power was not like any I had felt before, as you said, Mairon.

“I immediately called for help, and some of my brothers and sisters heard and came to aid me as quickly as they could. I was beginning to hear a voice, urging me to submit, promising rest, promising freedom to wander as I would. But below that was a hunger, deeper than any I had ever felt, and I did not trust it. Yet how to oppose something that is fundamentally unlike you? If I could not understand His aims, what recourse had I?”

“Yes, well, what did you do? It must have been something.” Fingon somehow seemed fully recovered from their earlier efforts and was tapping a ring rapidly against a side table. Celebrimbor tried to muster the energy to stop Fingon’s hand, but decided it wasn’t worth it. The tapping suddenly stopped; Fingon stared in astonishment at the two halves of his gold ring.

Much better. Olórin, what did you do? Annatar asked.

“I set it on fire.”

That got Celebrimbor’s attention enough for him to sit up. “Did it work?”

“It was enough that whatever spell was over Círdan and the others was broken. They lit fires of their own and began to drive Him back. Soon enough, the other Maiar reached me, and together we were able to exert enough pressure that slowly, He began to recede. Ah, but he was slippery and bloated, and almost a match for us. How long have Morgoth’s minions been feeding him in whatever secret lair they devised? But as I felt my strength failing, white fire poured from the sky. Ilmarë had come, and with her, Varda’s holy power. We shrunk Him, so that He was contained on a single piece of land and then that land pried from the earth and carried away.” 

Carried where? And how do you know He was fully contained? That you dug deep enough, or that a segment did not remain outside your fire? Annatar demanded. 

“Where? Back to the Door of Night, of course, for that was how He entered. And there are some still patrolling the hills, watching for a sign of any remnant.”

How do you know you put Him back in the right spot?

Olórin patted his pockets searching for a pipe. “It is in the hands of the Valar, who alone can open the Door of Night.” He sighed as he gave up the search for pipeweed.

Then how did He get through in the first place?

“It seems Morgoth’s former followers had been set as a watch on the door. It is a bleak and lonely place in the Uttermost West, and all of the Umaiar’s power, bound in cages set by Aulë, their vision given to Manwë, seemed a certain way to make sure none could pass.”

But someone let us out. Annatar’s dissatisfaction made them all shift in their seats. And maybe the first freed prisoner loosed the rest of us, but someone needed to be first.

“Yes, one would think! Unless one of your cages was faulty? But no, I cannot imagine Aulë making such an error.”

“Then we are still not safe!” Findis exclaimed. “Whoever plotted this whole thing could still be out there.”

Galadriel finally spoke. “After the Darkening, and the Númenóreans, and now this, do you really believe that absolute safety was ever possible?”

“Aren’t most of the Umaiar still free? Do we know why they were working with—” Fingon sought for a word. “Whatever that creature was.”

The Valar were calling Him the Life-eater, Annatar shared.

“An apt enough description from what I saw,” Olórin said. “We will find out more in the coming weeks, but the Life-eater promised freedom from an eternity of servitude. A powerful promise to those who had no hope of ever resting, of ever having their minds freed from their duty of observation.”

Annatar recoiled, recalling the state of constant alertness, the inability to do anything, even think what he would. You won’t go back, Celebrimbor assured; he did not let the thought travel beyond the two of them.

Olórin glanced towards him, as if he had heard Sauron and Celebrimbor’s private conversation. “No one is being imprisoned again within the devices of Aulë, of that I am certain. Not only is the system faulty, but I think there is some disagreement whether it was right to imprison you all like that in the first place.”

“It is no less than what Morgoth did to Húrin,” Fingon said.

Most of us had nothing to do with that. Annatar projected his thoughts so all could hear. I certainly didn’t.

“Really, nothing?” An edge crept into Fingon’s voice. “It was not merely that you were not capable of such a chaining?”

Annatar’s exasperation filled their bond. I’m not saying anything, Celebrimbor told Annatar alone. Get out of this yourself.

There is a difference between a handful of years and millennia, Annatar countered Fingon.

“To a mortal, it is the same.”

Then perhaps it is just but— Annatar aborted his communication and only Celebrimbor saw the dark and blood-stained beaches of Alqualondë. 

Fingon shivered; perhaps his thought went towards the full consequences of justice carried out to its fullest extent as well. “Well, if the imprisonment was ineffective, this argument is pointless anyway.”

Did you refuse this being? Celebrimbor asked Annatar. Is that how you ended up at Ondomar?

Not that I recall.

Galadriel frowned. “But you, Sauron, were not among the ranks of this Life-eater. How can that be if you did not refuse?”

I think that is a credit to my weakness, rather than any strength of character. 

“Yes, Lumbë told me as much, for he was privy to some of His reasoning. Eventually all of the Umaiar were freed. Some were deemed too weak to be of aid. He was surprised though, that you had escaped, because the weak were typically devoured by Him.”

“And they are gone? The ones that were consumed? The Life-eater was able to end the existence of a Maia?” Findis asked.

“I don’t know.” Olórin sounded troubled.

“Well, this will be exciting. Living in a land with enemies again.” To his credit, Fingon sounded apprehensive.

“Yes, I imagine we won’t be able to lay down our swords and spears for a little while,” Olórin said.

“And there is much that will need to be set right,” Celebrimbor said. He swung his legs off of the couch he had been lounging on and planted his feet on the ground. “I’m feeling a bit better — my thanks, Findis. I may see if there is anything I can help with outside.”

You may be feeling recovered, but I am still exhausted. Physical recovery is simpler in a way. Annatar shared just between the two of them the strange feeling of spiritual exhaustion. It was not quite pain without nerves and receptors, but it was far from pleasant. I’m still at a pitiable strength.

I’m still tired too, but I wanted to talk to you in private, as much as I can, Celebrimbor replied. Also, considering everything you did today and everything you have previously done to yourself, the fact that you can summon the energy to speak is a marvel. 

Annatar picked up the direction of his thought. I’m not whining. His insulted outrage was familiar and welcome, for all that it was also ridiculous. Celebrimbor smiled to himself.

“I’m going to ready all the space I can spare,” said Findis. “With so many homes destroyed, I’d like to put up as many as I can.”

Galadriel still looked drained. “Perhaps I—”

“No, rest a bit more,” Celebrimbor said. “You’ll ultimately be able to do more.” He stood. “I’ll probably be back in a bit.”

“You can stay here tonight.” Findis looked at the air above Celebrimbor. “You both can stay I suppose.”

Thank you, Annatar addressed Findis.

“What—” Fingon shook his head. “Never mind. I’m sure we’ll talk about it later.”

Celebrimbor walked out, through the courtyard, and into the street. Let’s go away from the Holy Square this time. The attack seemed to be centered there, but there was a lot going on all over the city. Let me know if you sense anyone in danger. 

He began walking down the deserted street, wisps of smoke still pluming from various locations. Suddenly, the sun darted across the sky and darkness fell. A feeling of vertigo overcame Celebrimbor and he fell to his knees, struggling to keep down the cordial in his stomach. Then the spinning stopped and the sun returned to something like her typical location in the sky.

What— Celebrimbor tried to formulate a question, but was too disoriented.

We are not where we were. Aman has shifted. I don’t— Annatar spread out, trying to sense any clue as to what had happened. The presence of the Life-eater is gone, but a great deal of power is still being expended. The Valar are struggling to keep Aman habitable.

So we might all go up in flames or turn to ice still?

It’s a possibility. If I thought it was likely I would—

You would demand the Valar let you help with any stabilization process going on? Celebrimbor asked. When you were just complaining about how weak you are?

Celebrimbor—

We should plan on the world not still going up in flames. We should plan on Aman going back to being completely habitable, and the Valar being preoccupied with the effort for some time.

Preoccupied? Annatar shared a sly hope.

It seems like you’re probably last on their list of worries.

You would rate me so low? I would— Annatar’s attention caught on something. There are people in the cellar of that house.

For a time, Celebrimbor focused solely on moving rocks and using a pole to shift fallen slabs of wall enough to free the elves trapped in the cellar. After he sent them towards the shelter a few blocks away, he went back to his slow walk.

Annatar picked up where they left off. I don’t think I’ll be forgotten entirely.

Probably not. But you just saved the lives of many, and if you’ve been living quietly somewhere, with me, maybe they’ll see how you helped rebuild.

I think there are many people who would not be satisfied with the idea of Sauron living a nice quiet life in paradise. Maybe I should—

“Maybe you should just give up? Leave me?” Celebrimbor demanded aloud. He did not trust his thoughts alone to present a coherent argument. It was also more satisfying to hear the anger in his voice, although it came with the consequences of appearing to rage at himself in the streets.

No, I—

“I’m not going to let them throw you in the Void.”

Manwë said that was not to be my fate.

“I’m not going to let them lock you in Mandos forever. Maybe— No, I don’t feel like being reasonable. I had resigned myself to living with bittersweet memories of the past, accepting that for me at least, there wasn’t going to be sudden turn to joy, some of us had to sacrifice everything—

Two Vanyar wielding spears rounded the corner. “Sir, are you well?” one asked, interrupting Celebrimbor.

“I’m well,” he replied. “Are you well?” 

“Yes, but you appear to be speaking—”

“Today has been very confusing for everyone.” Celebrimbor smiled. It did not appear to put the Vanyar at ease, but his lack of injury seemed to be enough for them. With some uncomfortable nods, they went on their way.

I also have no desire to be imprisoned, Annatar continued. I only thought what might grant me the most leniency.

Maybe I can forge you into some jewelry. That could keep you all to myself.

A bit on the nose, don’t you think?

The thought of taking the matter of Annatar’s physical residence into Celebrimbor’s own hands was satisfying. I wouldn’t create a ring for you. Maybe a bracelet—

You’re not stuffing me into that hideous thing I made you.

I think it would be romantic.

Brim, be serious. Annatar didn’t find the idea of being stuck in another inanimate object nearly as amusing as Celebrimbor did. 

I am serious. Well, not about the jewelry, but about just, starting over. Ignoring divine justice. It ignored us for long enough.

And you could be happy like this? With me without a body? 

You would not be? Celebrimbor hurried towards a still smoking building. Help me put this out.

They worked to suffocate the fire, Celebrimbor pulling away anything flammable, and Annatar driving oxygen away from the blaze. Once extinguished, a heaviness weighed on Celebrimbor’s mind that was even greater than the increasing physical exhaustion.

Sorry, but—

Celebrimbor realized the strange weariness was from Annatar, clinging to their bond for strength as he came to the end of what he could do alone. No. Rest. Let’s head back to Findis’. 

I don’t think it’s fair to you. Annatar raised the thread of their previous conversation. Aren’t there physical acts—

I know what I want. Really, Celebrimbor didn’t think he would mind being bonded to a bodiless being. There might even be upsides. But— Can you not regenerate a fana? Was that prohibited to you entirely at some point?

No, but it takes time and a great deal of energy. While we don’t actually know what the future holds I’m reluctant to spend time away from you. Yet I would rather be with you and bodiless, or with you and in that previous hideous form, although I think you would have some complaints—

It really wasn’t so bad. It was interesting.

Annatar’s weariness and love suffused Celebrimbor. I’ve learned you can’t be reasoned with sometimes. So where are we going? Not tonight, or were you thinking of staying with Findis for a time?

Tirion, I think. It sounds like the city was partly destroyed. I’d like to help rebuild it again — maybe make it a place I’d like to visit a bit more often. And it’s likely many of my friends will have the same thought. 

Tirion. Well I am curious. After what Olórin said, I should like to see what remains. But you want to live in Tirion long-term?

No. Celebrimbor shuddered. Far too much politics, maybe Tol Eressëa. Or maybe we should try to find our own place — I never did explore Aman like I wanted to, and I’m curious to see this erosion Olórin mentioned, if it still exists after everything calms down a bit. And for some reason, I think many people might object to you as a neighbor.

You’ll find I’m equally particular about who I live with.

Oh, I’m well aware. 

They were back at Findis’ gates, looking into the busy courtyard. Celebrimbor wasn’t quite ready to rejoin his friends. You know, that’s the thing about choosing to be together. You’re not just choosing me. For all that I complain, and I really do want to explore Aman with you, I’m glad to have my family back. It’s nice not to be the last one left, mostly notable for my survival.

That was never the sole reason for your fame. Annatar’s thought was both proud and reproving.

No, you’re right. Celebrimbor had no issue taking credit for his work in Middle-earth, but it had been simpler there in a way Annatar didn’t appreciate. But it’s hard to be extraordinary here among so much greatness, although the ancient ones have largely ceased to do anything new. I’m glad to be one among many, because that means if I should try to create something—

If? Annatar’s interjection was knowing.

When. Celebrimbor was already running down a list of gripes with Tirion that he hadn’t even remembered noting. Separate, but linked in his mind, was the problem that the only really sophisticated way to travel in Aman was by boat — the Teleri had created marvels that even Celebrimbor enjoyed traveling in even though he had no particular love of the sea. But Valinor did not have a system of easily navigable rivers, and the boats were mostly used on along the coast. 

All that and more you could do. Annatar was already ruminating on Celebrimbor’s ideas, a shared vision growing between them. We could do, together. But you speak as if the problem is that I dislike everyone but you, when the problem is that they despise me.

For good reason, Celebrimbor pointed out.

For good reason.

Anyway, I can handle that.

Really? How? Annatar asked.

By ignoring them. Celebrimbor shivered as Annatar laughed. But really, we can figure out things as they come, I just want you to know that it’s different now. For many reasons. We are starting something new, not going back to how we were.

I promised my hands and my heart —

No, that bond is void, Celebrimbor cut in.

— And I’ll swear anew.

Celebrimbor walked through the doorway, slowly weaving through the courtyard towards the house. It’s time for new promises, made in full knowledge of who we are, and in full acknowledgment of the past. 

Agreed, Annatar thought, wrapping his presence around Celebrimbor and following him into the house.


Chapter End Notes

Thanks to Visitor for beta-ing! Couldn't have done it without ya.

Fana - The phyiscal form taken by the Ainur

Only one more chapter left! I'm calling it the epilogue, although it's looking to be about as long as a typical chapter. Thanks to everyone who's commented! It's always fun to see your reactions and theories.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment