Many Journeys by Elleth

| | |

Parting Graces

Finrod and Amarië's last moments together. Double Drabble.


“Halt,” Amarië mouths into the dark. Rewind the thread of fate, unspin the tapestry, untwist the yarn, scatter the fibres in the wind, is what she thinks. For much has gone crooked between her and Findaráto, and their parting will be salt in a wound, with sea-bitter words rolling from their lips. She wants – not this. They love one another, truly do, and yet he did not ask her hand while there still was light, nor her presence now marching beside him in the dark.

The lamplight between them catches Findaráto’s eyes and kindles them to quiet blue flames, but his back bends beneath the load of too-thin clothes, dainty provisions, useless treasures.

She has no place amid these, as yet another treasure, a jewel on a pedestal, a soon-dead-weight.

“Farewell,” she says. Her lips are graceless, salty. “I refuse to be your burden. But take my love to bear your cares more easily. Let it lighten your heart until you return. Farewell.”

She flees. His hand grasps air, and for a while, from a distant hill, she watches his figure stand moveless amid the throng of bodies. At last, his shoulders straighten.

The thread spins on. Faraway, a wolf howls.


Chapter End Notes

Written for a request by Helcaraxe on tumblr.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment