Many Journeys by Elleth

| | |

The Washerman's Fate (*)

The news of Fingon's death drive Maedhros to madness. Intended to be disturbing; blood, violence, OC character death. (Double Drabble.)


Maedhros lurches up the causeway to Ereb, dirty and leached of life. His skin is white and his hair brittle, the colour of damp hay beginning to rot. Maglor keeps anxious watch from the parapets until Maedhros rattles down the passwords that open the gate, and he can tell the guard to stay their arrows.

He is taken to the healers, who proclaim malnourishments and cuts minor ailments compared to the vacant stare that holds more grief than plans gone crooked and Unions failed. He’s made to bathe, while his ruined clothes are sent for washing and mending: even necessities are hard to come by these days.

Soon after, one of the washermen walks with gold braided into his dark hair, over-bold and vain. He’s brought to Maedhros, for stealing from the high lord’s own pockets (for they all know whose hair ornaments these were, and it confirms the rumors: the King is dead). The door shuts. At last Maedhros emerges, holding the man’s head, dripping blood. He’s smiling like a child.

“He came to me again. But he’s gone. He’s gone. He’s gone.”

His brothers lack the heart (each in their way) to chide poor, mad, Maedhros for his deed.


Chapter End Notes

Written for Zeen on tumblr.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment