Gone With The Harp's Echo by Narya

| | |

Chapter 6


Stepping into Chalice Well gardens was like crossing a threshold all by itself – as though they had left most of the world behind.

“In a way it feels almost like cheating,” Robin murmured. “To come here for such a specific purpose...it feels like we're taking advantage, somehow.”

Laurie shrugged. “The power in these old places isn't something that you take, or harness, or steal. It simply is. And there is always more of it, the same way that more water always springs from the well underground.”

May turned slowly on her heel, admiring the stretch of green meadow, the flowered shrines, the reach of the sun through the trees. “I wish now I'd come here before. I always thought it would feel trite, or fake, somehow. But it doesn't. It's like breathing different air.”

They were approaching the pool, where the reddish spring water plashed lightly into two perfect circles.

“How are we going to manage this?” Robin whispered, eyeing the small knots of people at the water's edge. Some were praying; some where chattering softly; others simply stood, reflecting.

Laurie smiled and winked. “Oh, leave it to me.”

And he hummed a quiet tune like a summer breeze stirring the air. Those standing nearby caught it, and sighed; their faces relaxed, and their eyes gazed at something far, far away.

Now. Robin heard his friend's voice in his mind. Go.

He knelt by the pool and dipped in the chalice, and drank.

The taste of it was ferrous – bloodied, as though he was rinsing his mouth after a rough game of rugby. He coughed, and swallowed, and backed away.

I don't feel any different.

You won't. Laurie's mind-voice was tinged with amusement. Not yet.

Next they crossed the road to the temple at the White Spring. The old Victorian well house loomed above them, and inside, candles lit its cavernous vaults.

Listen to the water.

Robin closed his eyes, imagining he could hear the voice of the hills in the running of the springs, and wondered what or who had lived there, long ago.

He slipped on a patch of damp stone. May caught his elbow and hissed in his ear, “Watch where you're going!”

“Sorry.”

She pressed her lips together, and pointed at a sign.

CAUTION: NAKED FLAMES, DEEP WATER, AND FAERIE PORTALS. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Robin gave her a nervous smile.

It was easier, here, to dip the chalice into the waters and drink; around them, visitors were touching the surface of the pools and even wading into them. Robin tried not to think about that as he swallowed the cool, clear waters, and tasted stone and sunlight and fresh summer earth.

On their way out, he heard one of the keepers telling a group of visitors about the shrine to the King of the World of Faerie.

“They tend to keep away from people,” he assured them. “Especially Elves. They're mischievous, and can be quite unpleasant...”

Robin thought of his dancing fay-woman. Laurie raised an eyebrow, but did not deign to respond.

“What now?” May asked as they emerged into the light.

Laurie pointed north-east. “Now we climb the Tor, and wait for the sun to set.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment