Gone With The Harp's Echo by Narya

| | |

Chapter 9


Robin did not know how long it took for the green shoots to rise out of the earth. He felt starlight burn on his brow, and his father's arms around him, and he heard Nielikki's song. When he opened his eyes the world was green, and the sky was silver with cloud, and rain fell onto the waking land. In the distance, it seemed to him, a harp's echo sang.

“It worked,” he breathed. “It worked...

The Faery King's lips brushed his cheek. “Yes.”

Robin looked up at his father. He still held his crutch, but no silver threaded his hair, and the light in his eyes was fiery and young.

“The trace of the Avalon spring," Alf smiled.  "The healing waters that run through the gateway between worlds.”

The air was cool and fragrant. Nielikki wore white again, and her song was sweet. She came to Robin's side and took his hand, and his heart rose in yearning and grief. “You could simply have asked,” he told her. “There was no need to...”

She shrugged, pressed his palm to her cheek, and danced away. “Something had to be taken from you. It may not have worked, otherwise. The way might not have opened.”

Robin swallowed and looked away, watching the lake as it rose.

"There might be a way to make it easier," Alf said gently.  

"The star."

"Yes."  The grey eyes grew troubled.  "Although I cannot promise that it will bring you more than a measure of peace."

"I'm not sure anyone ever really gets more than that."  Robin reached up to his forehead, and was unsurprised when a small silver star fell into his palm.  The giddy feeling that he'd fought since South Cadbury dissipated like a summer mist - though when Nielikki smiled at him again, a faint yearning stirred inside him like an echo, or a dark note struck low on the harp.

He gave the star back to the King, who bowed his head.  “What will you do now?” he asked.

“What I have longed to do for so many years, but have lacked the power to do. I will leave this place, and go in search of the Queen.”

“My...” Robin could not quite form the word.

“Yes.” Alf tilted his head. Do you wish me to take her a message?

“She's alive?”

“Oh, certainly.” He gripped Robin's shoulder. “I told you. We do not die so easily.”

“Then tell her...” Robin thought, and in the end settled for the message he had sent his own mother, back in the world he had left. “Give her my love.”

 

***

 

When he walked back through the archway onto Glastonbury Tor, day was breaking. May was asleep, tucked against Laurie's side; the Elf stared over the Summerland Meadows, and birdsong danced through the fields below.

Robin smiled, and began to sing. “The gulls of Balar
They follow the star
The distance no bar
To fair Eldamar...”

May stirred. Without turning round, Laurie's mouth curved upwards. “You came back, then.”

“You knew I would.”

“I was fairly sure, yes.” He did turn then, and an ancient light shone in his silvery eyes. “Did you find what you were looking for?”

Robin laughed. “I think so. Assuming that I ever knew.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment