As Time Unrolls by Lyra

| | |

Trees


Trees.
An Offer They Can't Refuse

"I wonder if they will come," Waȝîrêz says, and meets several bewildered stares from her brethren.

"Of course they will come," says Mânawenûz. "Look at them, how fragile and ignorant they are! Clearly they need our protection and guidance. Unhappy that they are so far from our Realm!"

Waȝîrêz looks at her work. She has depicted the Firstborn according to Arômêz' descriptions, with lithe feet that climb rocks and walk the forests, deft hands that discover and craft, and joyful faces uplifted in wonder to the stars.
"They do not seem so very unhappy," she ventures.

"Only because they know no better yet. But they will, for we will teach them. Think of how much they can learn, once they have come here! And come they will, for who would choose the dangers and uncertainties of a world befouled by Ambêlikôrûz' government over the bliss of Amanaišal?"

"But we have overthrown Ambêlikôrûz' government," Ulubôz protests. "And we have done it precisely to make the world safe for the Children."

"Ambêlikôrûz is overthrown," Mâχanâmôz says, "but not all of his servants have been accounted for."

"Just so," Mânawenûz says. "The world is still unsafe."

"We could have finished the job," Tulukhastâz points out.

"But we have not," says Mânawenûz.

"We should have," says Waȝîrêz.

"But we have not," Mânawenûz repeats. "And now it is too late. Think of the damage that has already been done to the world. Would you risk more?"

Waȝîrêz feels a new feeling awaken in her heart, one for which she does not have a word; something akin to anger, but less violent and more hurtful. Who would know better about the damage than she who had to consider it twice, weaving the history of the wars into her tapestries?
"Would you leave its wounds to fester until we have to take action?" she retorts, more sharply than initially intended, but she finds that she does not regret her tone at all. "Surely that would do far more damage."

"We will not have to take action at all when the Children come here," Îrimôz points out.

"Yet Father made the whole world for the Children," says Ulubôz. "If we are to teach them, should we not rather join them in their lands, instead of summoning them to ours?"

Waȝîrêz nods. "Surely Father would not want us to call them away from their proper inheritance."

"This does not need to be discussed," says Mânawenûz. "It has been decided. Arômêz is delivering our summons, and it is up to them to come or stay." He gives the dissenters a stern look. "But they will come."

"So it is doomed," says Mâχanâmôz.


Chapter End Notes

For note on Valarin names, see the previous chapter.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment