The Singer's Girl by Lady MSM

| | |

Chapter 6


<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Chapter 6

 

I suppose it was a bit of a relief that I didn’t see any of the exiled royals for a while after that. They might have been in the village some, but I didn’t really have any reason to go to the village. No, I wasn’t avoiding them. I was just busy.

Okay, I was avoiding them. Especially Maglor. I had a lot of thinking to do as far as that boy went. Maglor was handsome, and talented, and charming, but on the other hand he was flaky and rich and his family was weird. How did I like him? I had no idea. So naturally, all I could do was avoid him and hope that I would eventually figure it out.

I’m pathetic, I know. It was probably fate that he showed up without warning at my door one evening. After a brief moment of panic, I took a deep breath, smiled, and let him in.

“Hello, Maglor!” I said. “You haven’t dropped by in a while. How’s the family?”

“They’re all fine, thank you, but if you don’t mind I’d rather not have an in-depth discussion of my family right now. Look! I brought cider!” He handed me a green glass bottle with something that smelled delicious inside.

“You’re a dear,” I said, kissing him on the cheek (no, I have no idea why I did that). “Want a scone? I just baked some.”

“Far be it from me to turn down free scones.” Maglor picked one off the tray and sat down. “So, treated any interesting injuries lately?”

“Oh, you’ll never guess!” I said eagerly. “Maikalambe—she’s the tailor’s wife—just had twin girls. Their dad’s real pleased; he says now he’s got a pair of built-in workers.”

“That’s great,” said Maglor, his eyes shining. “I’ve always liked children.”

“I like them too, which is surprising considering the amount of them I’ve had to deliver and fix up.” I poured myself some cider and took a sip. “Mmm…this is delicious.”

“Romenella made it. She’s a terrible cook, but let me tell you, no one can make cider like her.”

“Say, I’ve been meaning to ask you: What’s going on between Celegorm and Romenella? Are they together, or what?”

Maglor shook his head. “I have no idea. Sometimes they act like they’re friends, sometimes they act like they love each other, sometimes they act like they’re enemies. I try to stay out of it.”

“Well, I think they’d look real good together if they ever do figure it out.”

“You sound like quite an expert,” Maglor said. He had a funny smile on his face. “What kind of girl do you think I’d look good with?”

I said the first thing I thought of. “Some tall skinny Telerin girl with black hair and green eyes who’s quiet and polite.”

“Hmm, that’s funny,” said Maglor, standing up and taking a few steps toward me. “See, I always thought I’d look good with a short blondish Northern healer who doesn’t take any of my crap.”

He leaned towards me, and I knew—I knew—that he was going to kiss me.  No! I thought in a panic. He doesn’t know yet!

“Wait!” I said, pushing Maglor back. “I think I ought to tell you something.”

Maglor groaned. “Oh, Lords. You’ve got a boyfriend, haven’t you.”

“No, nothing of the kind. Do you remember when your granddad said I looked familiar and I said I didn’t think we’d met?”

“Vaguely, yes. Is this going somewhere?”

“Yes, because actually, I have met your granddad before. At Cuivienen.” I paused. He didn’t seem to have gotten it yet. “Maglor, I’m two generations older than you.”

He nodded. “Duly noted. Now, I believe you were about to kiss me?”

“So this doesn’t bother you?”

“Not at all. Actually, it’s probably all for the best—you’ll be a good influence on me.”

“All right,” I said. “If you don’t mind, I don’t mind either.”

Grinning hugely, Maglor plopped down into my armchair, pulled me into his lap, and kissed me.

He was a good kisser, as far as I could tell—it wasn’t like I had much (or any) experience in the matter. At least he seemed a lot less awkward than I did (probably had kissed dozens of girls, the rascal). His breath smelled like coffee and cider, and why hadn’t I ever noticed what nice arms he had?

“Listen,” said Maglor after we’d kissed for a while. “I think you already know how I fell about you.”

“Hmmm…I’ve guessed a few things, and your brothers have made some hints, but all the same I’d like to hear it from you.”

“I love you,” he said simply. “And I’ve never told any girl that before.”

“That’s what I thought.”

“And what about you?” he asked. “I take it you don’t hate me, since you haven’t slapped me yet.”

“Well, I’ll be honest with you, Maglor: I’m not the kind of girl that falls in love easily,” I replied. He looked disappointed, so I hurried on. “But let me tell you, Maglor, you’re an absolute doll and I like everything about you, and if you give me a little time I’ll probably be completely stuck on you.”

“That’s all I needed to hear,” said Maglor brightly. “And you may not believe it, but I can be patient sometimes. Just let me know within five years, all right?”

“Done and done,” I said. “Want another scone?”

“I’ll have one later,” he said. “Scones are pretty damn boring compared to this.”

And I had to agree.

 

“Hello, Earya dear,” I said, when Vanafinde’s youngest opened their door later that night. I’d run to Vanafinde’s house the moment Maglor had skipped out my door (taking a few scones with him, of course). “Is your mama around?”

“I’m here, Andril,” said Vanafinde, coming out of the kitchen. She looked at me curiously. “Phew, what’s happened to you? You’re all red and your hair’s messed up.”

“Well, that’s hardly surprising, considering what just happened to me!” I replied. “Come on, I’ve got to talk to you. Privately.”

“Andril, you naughty girl, what have you been up to?” giggled Vanafinde, pulling me back into the kitchen. “Tell me everything.”

Everything that had happened that day had finally hit me, so I’m afraid I was pretty incoherent when I answered. “Vanafinde, you were right…about him…and so was Rille, I mean, everyone was…and he doesn’t mind that I’m old, really he doesn’t…and I’m not making a bit of sense, am I?”

“No,” said Vanafinde, giving me an odd look. “This has something to do with Maglor, doesn’t it.”

“He kissed me, Vanafinde,” I whispered. “And then he said he loves me.”

Any success I’d had at keeping Mardan and the kids in the dark was canceled by Vanafinde’s ear-splitting shriek. “He kissed you? He kissed you! Oh, Andril, this is brilliant! You’re going to be a princess! I’m so happy for you!” She stopped suddenly and frowned. “You didn’t do anything stupid like slap him, did you?”

“No, but no one’s saying I’m going to become a princess either,” I said. “It’s not like he proposed to me.”

“So what did you say to him?”

“I said that I’m not the kind of girl who falls in love easily, but that he’s a doll and I’m sure I’ll fall in love with him eventually.”

Vanafinde thought this over for a second, then nodded approvingly. “That’s good, I guess. Play hard to get for a while. It’s a trick that always works.”

“Vanafinde, I am not playing any tricks on this poor boy. I told him the truth, and he didn’t seem to mind.”

“Of course,” Vanafinde replied, not seeming to entirely believe me. “Well, I’m very, very glad for you, Andril. And if you marry him, you’ve got to let me come and stay in the palace sometime.”

“Andril’s getting married?” said a confused-looking Rille, peeking in the door. “And what did you say about a palace?”

“I’m not getting married, dear. Your mother’s getting ahead of herself, again,” I said, looking at Vanafinde significantly.

“Does this have something to do with Maglor?” She smirked when we hesitated. “I knew it.”

“You mind your own business, young lady!” ordered Vanafinde. “I’m sure you’ll hear about it from all those gossipy friends of yours eventually.”

Rille continued to smirk. “I think I’ve heard all I need to hear for now.” Sticking her face out the kitchen window, she cried, “Hey, everyone! Andril kissed Prince Maglor!

I groaned and buried my face in my hands. “I’ll bet at least half this street heard that.”

“You’ll thank me later,” said Rille brightly. “Now you don’t have to worry about keeping it a secret from everyone. And besides, I’m sure Maglor will tell everyone about it, too. Hey, now you’ll have to introduce me to him!”

“If I promise to do that, will you leave?”

She looked offended. “I was planning on leaving anyway,” she said, and stalked out of the room.

“You are happy, aren’t you, Andril?” Vanafinde asked me. “You’ve been very ambiguous about your emotions.”

“I am happy,” I said. “That’s what’s so confusing.”

 

Was I surprised when I received a very tersely worded letter from Celegorm inviting me to Formenos for lunch three days later?

No, not really.

I was, however, surprised that Maglor was not there.

“Where’s Maglor?” I asked as I sat down.

“Not around,” said Celegorm vaguely.

“He didn’t know you were coming,” said Caranthir. “Which is precisely how we planned it.”

“All right, what is this?” I asked, thoroughly confused. “Maedhros? Care to explain?”

“Well, you see, Andril, Maglor explained to us what happened three nights ago and—as I’m sure you can imagine—his account of it was very detailed,” explained Maedhros awkwardly. “We know about the kissing, the scones, your real age, and yes, we know about the…the L word, Andril.”

He was too embarrassed to say the word love. I thought that was pretty funny. “So basically, you invited me here because you wanted to gossip about Maglor.”

Really?” said Curufin. “That’s really your theory? Sweetheart, the only people who actually want to gossip about Maglor are irksome adolescent girls.”

“Don’t you call me sweetheart, young man. As Maglor may have told you, I’m old enough to be your grandmother.”

“The reason we invited you here is because we wanted to establish exactly what’s going on between you and our brother,” said Celegorm. “Maglor’s never told a girl he loves her, Andril. This is serious.”

“I don’t know what you expect me to say,” I said, shrugging. “It’s not like we’re engaged. He likes me and I like him, and that’s all I know right now.”

“No, he loves you,” said Amrod. “You’re the one who’s being ambiguous.”

“Why is everyone calling me ambiguous?” I muttered. “Aren’t there lots of other words for that?”

“Andril, the point is, we need to know you won’t break Maglor’s heart,” said Caranthir, all traces of sarcasm gone. “He’s all—” he paused to roll his eyes— “artistic, you know. He won’t get over it quickly if you do.”

Stop it!” I cried. “Just stop it, please. I don’t want to break Maglor’s hear. I told you, I like him. But isn’t it kind of unfair to him to just say I’m in love with him if I haven’t figured out how I really feel yet?”

“Caranthir, leave her alone, would you?” said Amras, looking considerably more serious than usual. “She’s a nice girl; do you really think she’s going to break Maglor’s heart?”

There was a long silence. I looked down at my lap so I wouldn’t have to see everyone staring at me, but I could still feel it.

“She could,” said Caranthir finally. “But I don’t think she will.”

“Well, thank you,” I said crossly. “How much of this are you going to tell Maglor about?”

“All we’ll tell him,” Curufin said calmly, “is that if he wants to marry you it’s all right with us.”

I sighed and got up. “Thank you, boys. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go.” Without waiting for them to say anything, I turned sharply and headed out the door. I should have been relieved, but I was steaming mad. I’d never been so insulted in my life. The nerve of these boys, feeling like they needed to make sure I was all right, like parents inspecting their son’s new girlfriend! Who did they think they were?

“Who does who think they are?” said a familiar voice. Maglor stepped out of the shadows and looked at me quizzically. He must have just gotten back. I hadn’t realized I’d spoken out loud, but apparently I had, and it was making Maglor look pretty concerned. And he was adorable.

 “It doesn’t matter. I love you,” I said, and kissed him.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment