The Singer's Girl by Lady MSM

| | |

Chapter 8


<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Chapter 8

 

In case any of you were wondering, no, traveling to Tirion when it’s pitch black outside is not fun. Particularly when you’ve never ridden a horse in your life and aren’t used to having your legs stretched like that. And the ride to Tirion from Elk Lake was nearly a day long, if you went fast. But it wasn’t like I had a choice, now did I?  No, I didn’t. I’d made a commitment here.

Good Lords, what had I been thinking?

But no, I wasn’t going to complain. I didn’t have any right to complain. After all, how many of my family members had died recently?

Maglor valiantly tried to keep me entertained, but I could tell his heart wasn’t in it. Poor dear. I wondered if he’d ever get back to being his usual cheerful self. I wondered if anything would ever get back to being its usual anything.

The Tirion city gates were locked tight when we arrived, and it took us a full ten minutes of banging on them and yelling to finally get someone to let us in. The gatekeeper eyed us suspiciously as we entered—especially me.

“Who’s the lady?” he asked sharply.

Maglor put his arm around me defensively. “My fiancé.”

I wanted to ask when he’d decided that, but figured it probably wasn’t a good time. The gatekeeper nodded and allowed us through. We were in the city.

Eru Almighty, it was quiet.

I’d lived in the city for about ten minutes when I’d first arrived in Valinor and even I knew that in general cities were ridiculously loud and crowded. That day, while there were a few people on the streets, they didn’t talk and barely looked up. It was kind of disturbing.

As if he was reading my mind, Caranthir remarked, “I’ve never seen Tirion this quiet before. Not even at night.”

“Try not to think about it,” said Maedhros grimly.

“Well done, Maedhros,” said Amras. “You do know now we won’t be able to think of anything else?”

Right enough, the silence was all we could focus on as we slowly rode to the north side of the city. The buildings got steadily more opulent as we rode on, and Maglor pointed out a particularly grand, dark mansion.

“That’s our house,” he whispered. “We’re going there to see Mom before we meet up with Dad. Dad told us to meet him at the Grand Hall—that’s where all the big decisions get made. I think he’s up to something.”

That didn’t sound good. I couldn’t imagine what would happen when Maglor’s father was up to something.

We were greeted at the door by a sturdy, freckled woman with Maedhros’ red hair and Maglor’s features—Nerdanel, I assumed. She broke into a relieved smile when she saw us.

“Ah, boys, yer all right,” she said, ushering us in. “Sure, I was hopin’ that nothing much had happened to ye, after what happened to yer granddad and all…not to mention what happened with the Trees…”

“Speaking of that, Mom, what did happen to the trees?” asked Maedhros. “We haven’t heard any of the details yet.”

“First of all, we need to get something straight,” said Nerdanel firmly. “Is this girl Andril?”

“Yes,” said Maglor. “It is indeed.”

“Nice to meet you, dear. Welcome to the family. All right, boys, sit down and I’ll explain everything.” We all complied, and she launched into her explanation. “Apparently our boy Melkor went off and hired some giant spider named Ungoliant…”

“Excuse me,” interrupted Caranthir. “Did you just say a giant spider?”

“I did, and don’t interrupt. He hired this spider-lady to help him destroy the Two Trees and therefore get rid of all our light. So the two of ‘em destroyed the Trees, and then went up North and did all the things there that ye all know about.”

“Makes sense,” said Celegorm, who was apparently not as shocked as the rest of us that an evil ex-Vala and some kind of giant spider had effectively destroyed our homeland. “But what’s the matter with Dad? What’s this plan of his he told us about?”

Nerdanel sighed. “Sure and I don’t know exactly. All I can tell ye is that the Valar tried to convince yer father to give them the Silmarils in order to restore the Trees. And ye know how yer father is…that didn’t go well.” She looked at us gravely. “I’d advise ye to find him as quick as ye can and figure out what he’s up to. I have a feelin’ that it’s not good.”

 

When we reached the Grand Hall, which was a gigantic building at the very northest end of the city, and tied up our horses and went inside, I discovered why we hadn’t seen anyone in Tirion’s streets.

It was because just about every damn person in Tirion was in that building. That place was packed so tight that I was worried I’d break bones if I went in. I also realized that as a group, city people might not smell great.

“Come on,” said Maedhros. “Dad wanted him to meet us up front.” He deftly led us through the crowds to the speaking platform at the front of the room, where Feanor was waiting for us.

“Good,” he said in a hard voice. “You’re here. And so is she,” he added, glancing at me.

“Dad,” said Maedhros cautiously. “What’s going on here? What are you doing?”

“You’ll see,” said Feanor, still in that frightening tone. “There are some changes that need to be made in this country. Big changes. The Valar have pushed our people around long enough, and it’s high time the Noldor took a stand.”

And he stepped up onto the platform.

It’s a bit too painful to go into what happened next, if you don’t mind.

 

“You’ve got to be joking,” I said. We’d all come back to the house after the big debacle (except Feanor—he was off making plans for their departure the next day and whatnot).

I was furious.

“You’ve got to be joking,” I repeated.

“I’m not joking, Andril,” said Maglor heavily. “I have to go.”

“You don’t have to go,” I argued. “This is ridiculous!”

“The second part I agree with. The first part…not so much. I actually do have to go. I swore an oath.”

“An idiotic oath!” I yelled. I rather wanted to cry, but I wasn’t going to give that rat bastard the satisfaction. “I can’t believe you went along with them like this! I knew your dad and brothers were lunatics, sure, but I thought you were better! I thought you had at least half a brain!”

“Do you think I wanted this?” roared Maglor—yes, roared, and I’m not joking about that. “Do you think I’m just like my dad? This isn’t about the Silmarils for me, Andril. This is about my family. They need me.”

“Did it ever occur to you that maybe I need you too?” I shouted back.

Maglor shook his head. “Andril, we both know that when it comes down to it, you don’t need me. You’ve got a job and a home and friends. You’ve got a life that’s actually halfway normal. And furthermore, you have a lot of people depending on you. You’ve got to stay just like I’ve got to leave.” He shook his head. “I never should have pressured you to come down here. I didn’t know that this was going to happen…”

“No,” I said, more softly this time. “I’m glad I came. I’m glad I was here for you.” I blinked rapidly a few times. “You won’t think less of me if I take this opportunity to bawl, will you?”

He just shook his head.

I sat down and tried to bawl, but I was still in shock and couldn’t really get any tears out. So I just sat there, with my head in my hands and my shoulders shaking, in complete and utter silence.

After a while, Maglor spoke up. “Er, Andril, sorry to interrupt, but there’s something I’d like to get straight before I leave.”

I looked up. “What is it?”

“You may recall that when we arrived in Tirion I told that guy that you were my fiancé.”

“I think I remember that, yes.”

“Well…” Maglor took a deep breath. “Andril, if I survive this mess and somehow make it back in one piece, will you marry me?”

No, I thought, no! Why the hell was he asking me if I would marry him now? He was leaving the next day, for Varda’s sake! There was no way I was going to get engaged to him, not after he’d been such an idiot and sworn away his entire future. How stupid did he think I was, to get engaged to a boy I’d probably never see again? No, no, no!

“Yes!” I blurted out.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment