Restore and Rebuild by polutropos

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Instadrabbles for the August-September 2022 SWG Challenge, Restoration and Rebuilding. 

Major Characters: Dior, Elros, Maglor, Nimloth

Major Relationships: Elros & Maglor, Dior/Nimloth

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Restoration and Rebuilding

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 303
Posted on 26 August 2022 Updated on 2 October 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Returning Home

A moment of hope as Dior and his family cross over the borders of Doriath. 

Read Returning Home

They have crossed Aros. When Dior’s foot falls on the spongy earth on the opposite bank, the soil thrums softly. He crouches to rest his hands against the ground and breathes in the scent of the land: damp, rich, with the faintest thread of something like lightning. 

Nimloth is beside him when he rises. Strapped snugly to her back, Elwing is wide awake now. Her mouth is pinched into a little ring and her huge, grey eyes stare up at the canopy. She lets out a gleeful giggle and kicks. The twins have already run ahead, unaware that they have just passed into another realm. 

“Welcome home,” Nimloth smiles and kisses Dior’s temple. 

 


Chapter End Notes

Prompt: Reborn (song) by Kids See Ghosts

Imperfect and Beautiful

Elros discovers something of Maedhros' that Maglor thought long ago broken and lost. 

Read Imperfect and Beautiful

“Caaaaano! What is this?” Elros’ shout came from Maedhros’ chamber. Hadn’t he just been in the room with him? Maglor was about to rise when he heard footsteps running over the floor.

Elros had a small bowl clasped between both hands. “What is this?”

Maglor stared at it. He hadn’t seen that vessel for many years and assumed it was lost. He had no idea Maedhros still had it. “Oh,” he said. “That’s…”He crouched to take a closer look. “That’s a bowl that Nel– Maedhros made when he was, well, not much older than you.”

Elros looked contemplatively at the object, turning it around. “What are the gold webs? Decoration?” 

There were indeed threads of some metal running through cracks in the bowl – gold seemed unlikely, unless it had been repaired in the forges of Amon Ereb some time ago, long before the war.

“I think,” Maglor said, “that those are meant to hold it together.”

"It's beautiful!" Elros held it out, marvelling.

"Yes," Maglor agreed, lowering himself to Elros' height to look at it more closely, "even more beautiful than it was."


Chapter End Notes

Prompt: Image of Kintsugi bowl. 

In canon verse I don't generally subscribe to the idea that Elrond and Elros called either Maedhros or Maglor 'father' or the like.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh! This moment... I can feel Dior and Nimloth's sense of coming home, and the land welcoming them back -- with just a hint of Melian lingering. Lovely!

Oh, what a sweet moment... and Maglor must have been astonished to see it, a relic precious enough to bring on the ships, to have survived after his capture, to be rescued from Himring and survive the Nirnaeth and all their wonderings since...

Beautiful.