Postcards from Arda by Elleth

| | |

By Any Other Name

GG and Lizard Council, many thanks for the nitpicking and help.

Overcoming prejudices is as hard in Middle-earth as in our primary universe. Write a story or poem or create artwork where the characters try to reach across racial or gender or any other barrier.

For B2MeM 2011, Day Seven: By Any Other Name: Maglor and his betrothed seek to negotiate differences and similarities between the Sindar and Noldor. (Rather more fluffy than the summary hints at.)


In the early days, they had few cares. While his father and brothers laboured to set up camp, Makalaurë and Lasbaneth were given leave to roam, under the pretense of "strengthening the alliance" or "exploring the land". It was a whirlwind courtship, forged soon after the Noldor had landed, but neither of them had entered into it with a heavy heart. They rode together under the starlight and through the mists of Mithrim with song and laughter between them, and near-incessant chatter in a curious mix of both languages. He kept stealing glances at the ring on her finger, silver and unadorned, and at its counterpart on his own hand.

"Galadh," Lasbaneth said as though unaware, pointing at a beech tree spreading its canopy above them.

"Alda," replied Makalaurë, and "feren".

"Fêr," said Lasbaneth, and they both laughed.

"You have a talent for languages that rivals any of us. You are a true Noldo," Makalaurë said and reached out to touch her hair. "In our legends it is told that only half our kin departed across the sea. Half remained - you must be descended from them."

"No," said Lasbaneth. "I am neither Noldo, nor Tatya - nor Lachenn," and briefly her eyes darkened. "You come from across the sea, burn the vessels in which you came, you barely ever speak of anything but stone, you are loud and arrogant, you quarrel even among your kin: your father and older brother hardly speak to one another at all. You are keeping secrets and came seeking war. We are seeking peace and made alliance with you to find it again."

"We came, in the end, for the sake of peace. You know this." Makalaurë confirmed, but his smile turned bitter knowing what deeds had forced his family into exile, and what oath of revenge they all had sworn. He evaded Lasbaneth's inquisitive look and gentle hands, and said instead, "You are Linda, then. Many would call you Moriquendë, and your people dangerous and unwise."

"I am Mithrim. And if I were unwise, would I seek to reach across our divide?" Lasbaneth asked.

"Some would say so." Makalaurë bit his lip. "I have heard it said in both our camps. Your own opinion of us seems widespread, and some of my own brothers think your people savages. Curufinwë delights in calling them cave-elves."

"Then we are not so un-alike after all," she said. "After all, he is a true example of a deep-elf."

A breathless moment passed, and the shadow between them with it. Lasbaneth laughed.

"And you sing nearly well enough to be Linda. For a Noldo."


Chapter End Notes

galadh, alda - tree in Sindarin and Quenya respectively
fêr, feren, - beech in Sindarin and Quenya respectively
Tatyar - the second clan of the elves, the ancient name of the Noldor
Lindar - the third clan of the elves, the ancient name of the Teleri
lachenn - a Sindarin term for the Noldor, meaning flame-eyed

Regarding the differences between the Noldor and different Middle-earth Eldar I have taken some liberties about their reception - the Tatyarin fragment of the Avari they first met were unfriendly to the Exiles, the Mithrim Sindar apparently had more cordial relations with them. Nonetheless I can't quite believe there being no reservations whatsoever, which is what I tried to work into the story. For more information on the topic, please see Angelica's excellent essay, Name Calling: Group Identity and the Other among First Age Elves.

As for Fëanor's being alive, the Shibboleth states that he had time to learn Northern Sindarin, which to me strongly implies that he was there to witness at least some contact prior to the Dagor-nuin-Giliath.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment