Far Over Land and Sea by polutropos

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for SWG Challenge 'X Marks the Spot', Beginner level (two prompts). I intended to complete this at the Difficult level (7 prompts) and include most of the significant battles of the First Age, but ran out of time. I have posted these two instalments for the challenge but do hope to complete the original vision eventually. 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor's use of Songs of Power. Currently includes Alqualondë and the Dagor-nuin-Giliath. 

Major Characters: Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: X Marks the Spot

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 628
Posted on 15 November 2022 Updated on 13 December 2022

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Alqualondë

Prompt: Not a lot of options.

Read Alqualondë

The Teleri fought with nets, tridents, spears, knives, arrows – but their most powerful weapon? They sang. They sang as they had since they awoke on the shores of Cuiviénen, and the sea’s rippling surface carried their voices from pier to pier. Now as sweetly as waves lapping over pebbles, now groaning as fiercely as a storm delving grottoes in the cliffsides.

Like a web of cracks that veins unseen through a sheet of glass, their Songs slowly broke down their opponent’s resolve, making brittle shards of the shell encasing a hardened heart.

Then came the knife, gutting the stunned soldiers like so many fish.

One, two, three fell this way as Macalaurë advanced. They spilled heaps of black gore onto the white boards as their bodies crumpled into the sea.

Four, five. The last, a woman who had crafted his first child’s flute.

“Cáno!” A cry from behind. His brother – which brother? Macalaurë whirled towards the sound. Upon the marbled breakwater: Tyelkormo surrounded by a wall of spears. Their bearers beat out a rhythm against the stones, singing together. A dreadful choir.

“Cáno!” his brother called again, his voice cut through with the shrillness of panic. “Stop them!”

All the Eldar could draw forth thoughts and sensations with Song, but few had Macalaurë’s gift for singing them into being.

He gathered his fear into his lungs. He felt, for the first time, what it was to wield a Song. The Teleri parried with a deluge of music and arrows. Macalaurë’s Song faltered, his shield arm was struck.

The circle closed around Tyelkormo. Mighty Tyelkormo, who had never needed Macalaurë once before.

In desperation, scarcely conscious of his choice, he allowed a strain of discord into his Music. His vision darkened. The clamour of weapons hushed. The sound carried on his breath was deep and full, the words ancient and unholy. The choir fell silent.

He opened his eyes and saw, for the first time, that Song could destroy.

Dagor-nuin-Giliath

Prompt: Splendor lost.

Read Dagor-nuin-Giliath

“Canafinwë!” his father bellowed. Between them, crackling, flaming whips cut through the northern sky. Fëanáro cried through the noise, “Sing! Sing our Enemy to ruin!”

But the songs in Macalaurë’s breast had tied themselves in knots and stoppered his throat since that night on the piers. It was the price, he deemed, of borrowing threads of the Enemy’s Music for himself.

Varda’s stars flickered overhead, distant and cold. The winds were still. The air grew thick with the ash-laden breath of the fire demons. Even so had a cloud of smoke engulfed the firth when the ships burned. By the time the first great mast toppled, Macalaurë could no longer make out where his blazing arrows fell.

There was no beauty in such foul fire.

Fëanáro’s flashing helm was swallowed by the shadow of the greatest of the Valaraukar. Macalaurë’s commands rose above the tumult, sending line after line of soldiers crashing against their foes. It was not enough.

“Macalaurë!” Maitimo called to him now. “You must sing!”

Faced with destruction, the knots unravelled. Macalaurë’s Song, deep and terrible, surged over the field of battle. The whips of the Valaraukar were as streaming seaweeds caught up and tangled in the wave of sound. The elven forces followed in its wake, their swords gleaming like silver foam.

As their foes faltered, the warriors of the Noldor took up the Song and pressed forwards. A thousand mighty voices rolled over the plain. The enemy fled.

Fëanáro exulted – then collapsed. The victorious Noldor made their retreat in heavy silence.

No dirge was sung for Fëanáro’s remains as they sped away on a black gust.

It had not been enough.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


So full of pain... that sense of having used a gift for the worst possible ends, of feeling it being lost to you.  Either unable or unwilling to do so again and yet unable not to.  Beautiful and sorrowful both.

Oh my!

This was so intense, but I absolutely love it!
I like your ideas for how the Teleri use songs to fight! That was really interesting to read. I may have to adopt your some of them, I've got some Teleri OCs they would fit perfectly.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Comment for chapter 1

Thanks so much for the comments, on both chapters! Please feel free to borrow the headcanon. It only occurred to me in the context of writing this, but if anyone has an innate talent for Songs of Power it makes sense that the musical Teleri would, right? And iirc the first kinslaying says something about the Noldor being pushed back a couple times, which is surprising given the Teleri probably didn't even have weapons besides those used for hunting/fishing. But they have Music!

And maybe that's way half-Telerin Finrod is such a badass with his Songs.