Finrod: 30-Day Character Study - Writings by cuarthol

| | |

The Oath Come Due

For Day 15. Big Ideas, Part Two. Using one of the big ideas from Prompt 14, revise an existing fanwork so that this idea is more strongly emphasized or create a new fanwork that brings this idea to the center of the piece.


He looked upon Beren with both wonder and pity, he who had come bearing the spirit of Bëor, the courage of Emeldir, and the honor of Barahir.  This Man, who had come bearing his ring - his father’s ring - and such an incredible story that Finrod might well have dismissed it as a fanciful tale had he not felt in his gut the truth of it.

It was foolhardy, impossible.  It was, in fact, infuriating that Thingol had asked for such a thing.  There was no future for this mortal, even if he succeeded - his death was fixed by Eru himself.  Even without these considerations, the cruelty of the quest was evident.  

Were Finrod to be especially generous, he could claim to understand Thingol’s reluctance to let his daughter marry a mortal, but the strife this would awaken between himself and his kin, not to mention they and Beren, was no small matter.

He had seen for himself the pain such a parting could bring, wishing his own brother could have found a better end.  A momentary thorn of spite arose - why should Beren find joy while Aegnor was denied?  There was no justice in it; his one regret having not urged them to take what little life had given them.

But the feeling did not last, for he did not feel spite for Beren.  He understood only too well his heart.

He recalled the doom he had spoken to his sister once, when Nargothrond was yet newly delved and this end felt, even then, far away.  Now he knew his fate had come.

Wisdom said this was folly.  Wisdom said he should counsel Beren against this course.  Wisdom said not to risk stoking the fires of his cousins’ oath.  Wisdom said that all the strength of the Noldor could not overcome Morgoth, what hope had this Man?

But all of Finrod’s wisdom fled in the end.  He embraced Beren and kissed his brow tenderly, and repeated the words of his oath to Barahir.  He would hold to his word, not because it was wise, not even because he was faithful.  He would do all he could because his heart would let him do no other.
 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment