Finrod: 30-Day Character Study - Writings by cuarthol

| | |

To Bridge This Divide

Day 24. Weak Points, Part Two. Revisit the list of shortcomings you’ve come up with for Prompt 9. This time, write a scene in which your character turns a weakness into a strength.


He hated conflict.  It was not the greatest weakness he had, but it was one which was wholly unsuited to his position, wanting always to please everyone no matter how foolish or hopeless the attempt.

He hated being one who stood upon a schism and insisting he was on the only right side.  Few things in life were ever so simple and clearly defined, he felt.

That was not to say he had never taken a hard stance in his life.  He remembered well the fiery words he himself had said during the debate of his kin, when he and Turgon had stood shoulder to shoulder in defiance of Fëanor’s folly, denouncing his blasphemies and refusing his claims to kingship.

But in those days their spirits were roused and their hearts set ablaze by such circumstances as must necessarily be rarely found.  

Though he preferred the softer approach, trying to bridge and find compromise, it did make for very difficult political situations when he shied away from condemning the sons of Fëanor even so far as to have blame then put upon his own head.  He was rather grateful that Angrod had lost his composure at last, though at the time he had wished otherwise.

But while it was not an ideal trait for a king, he felt at times it was better to be too soft than too hard.  He did not relish the thought of further feeding the rift which had threatened to divide his family - both sides of his family.

Finrod read the letter four times, not knowing what he sought between the lines, what clue might hide in the choice of words.  In his hands the words of his once beloved cousin, written in such friendly, if somewhat reserved, terms that he could not bear to deny the request to come, even knowing it may well mean consequences.

Thingol had every right to bitterness for the deaths of his kin, and Finrold felt the burden of holding the dead close in his heart for even the appearance of having played a part.  He knew he should shun them, as their native tongue had been banned and their presence often only barely tolerated for the protection they lent.

But he could not bring himself to break with them.  They were still dear to him, or the memory of them was, perhaps.  Memories he could not bring himself to be fully shadowed by what had followed.

He did not travel through Doriath, a perhaps unnecessary deference to Thingol but one he felt strongly about.  It seemed wrong to use the safety and welcome of his great-uncle to visit those upon whom his displeasure had been so heavily cast.  He rode instead around to the south, adding considerably to his journey, but it was a pleasant one and he did not rue it.

When he arrived in Himring, there were all the expected pleasantries and politically safe greetings.  But once they were away from too many prying ears and suspicious eyes, Finrod found himself in Maglor’s embrace, and though the sting of betrayal would never fully heal, he could not find it in himself to refuse the love and company of his cousin.

Perhaps it was a weakness, but sometimes he felt it a greater strength.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment