Súlimëo Quentar: March Stories by Elleth

| | |

Host of Stars

During the departure from Cuiviénen, Finwë battles a moment of indecision. A double-drabble according to Open Office.


Looking back, there were a veritable multitude of fires on the shore.

Finwë, leaning on his staff, closed his eyes. The fires still burned, inside his eyelids.
Half of my people remained. The failure to convince them stung, the separation tugged fiercely on his limbs to turn and lead the host of the Tatyar back with him. But stronger still pulled the desire to see the Light again. One way or another had to lie farewell. But doubt gnawed at his bones as a hungry wolf would. As the Dark Rider would, if he caught him. My choice was wise.

Opening his eyes again, he lifted them to the stars. And dropped them, to see a veritable multitude of torches following him up the pass into the cliffs; like a host of stars themselves. In their shine were children running, a shepherdess herding her flock, a musician drumming his timbrel and the man beside him laughing, all the way into the valley the glint of light on hair and eyes turned forward. Hindmost, almost beyond recognition, were the Nelyar, but even they followed.

And in the end, they will have greater lights still. Lightened, Finwë began climbing the slope ahead.


Chapter End Notes

Half the original Tatyarin population did in fact remain at Cuiviénen to become part of the Avari, their departing counterpart later became the Noldor. The Nelyar are the later Teleri, the most reluctant to depart. Many more of them remained at Cuiviénen, while others got lost along the road, so to speak. They also were the last group to arrive in Valinor.

Written for the following prompts:

B7: Here we come A-Caroling: Tidings of Comfort and Joy, Landscape: Cliffs


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment