The Bard's lost scrolls by Rhapsody

| | |

The convenient solution

Marco Fean Ata, courtier at the court of Conrad IV of Germany, is assigned to find a convenient solution to put a halt to the Mongol invasion of what we now know as Europe.

A true drabble written for the Bingo Card Maglor in History 1 prompt O72: Mongol Invasion


 

Durazzo, February 1242

Dominus Conrad,

I am sending you confirmation regarding the successful assassination of Ögedei Khan, son of Ghengis Khan on December the 11th of the year 1241. As per strict instruction, I recruited a young maid whose task in the winery proved to be an easy weapon against this barbarian. I negotiated for a good marriage and dowry for her, in turn for her silence unto death. No knowledge shall be brought forth about the Khan's demise. I will share the details during a private audience in Vienna, my dominus willing.

At your service,
Marco Fean Ata

 


Chapter End Notes

Conrad IV of Germany (25 April 1228 - 21 May 1254) was King of the Romans (May 1237 - 21 May 1254, formerly the Holy Roman Empire), and was King of Jerusalem (as of birth, 25 April 1228 - 21 May 1254), when the Mongolian invasions threatened his Kingdoms and other realms. Given his connection to Jerusalem, and being the closest to the Mongolian threat, my muse thought it would be a good idea to have this young King hire a secretive Italian assassin, Marco Fean Ata, our Maglor.

 

Ögedei Khan died during a drinking bout (according to Encyclopædia Britannica) on December the 11th 1241). The Khan had previously had granted permission to invade the remainder of Europe, all the way to the "Great Sea," the Atlantic Ocean, and only his death prevented the possible invasions of Austria, Germany, Italy, France, and Spain, and the remaining small European principalities. Indeed, Mongol forces were moving on Vienna, launching a fierce winter campaign against Austria and Germany, in the first wave, into Western Europe when Ögedei died. Thusly, our elf's meddling and completion of his task prevented the downfall of Western Europe.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment