The Merchant of Valinor by Tehta

| | |

Silmë (Starlight)


Starlight was a perpetual delight to the Elves of Menegroth, and I quickly turned this to my advantage by developing a new product, a bright mirrored globe that cast dappled, star-like reflections upon the dark walls.

I had expected to enjoy trading with these distant kinsmen of mine, but it proved a strange, unsatisfying business, since they were far too willing to part with their treasures for a song. Literally, in many cases: those who had no use for sparkling globes often requested payment in the form of a novel melody, until I ran out of both the sea-shanties of my youth and the sad, throaty laments I had learnt from the Orcs, and was forced to resort to singing the compositions of Makalaure Fëanárion – after altering their terrifying lyrics, of course.

Most of his ballads I turned into paeans to the local princess, who was deservedly beloved by all. Even I spent many hours contemplating her beauty and grace, and wondering whether there was some aspect of her presence – the starlit hue of her eyes, the fall of her hair, the cut of her clothing – that could be replicated and sold to those seeking to increase their own attractions.

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment