Greatest of Feasts by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Day 2 of Tolkien Ekphrasis Week 2024: Culinary Arts
& for the Tolkien Short Works prompt: bread

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Master Cooks of Wootton-Major were of course best known for their cakes, but even as an apprentice Alf had made a name for himself with bread.

Major Characters: Alf

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 274
Posted on 11 June 2024 Updated on 11 June 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Greatest of Feasts

Read Greatest of Feasts

Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.” - James Beard

.

The Master Cooks of Wootton-Major were of course best known for their cakes, but even as an apprentice Alf had made a name for himself with bread. No one who passed by his kitchens while the bread was baking did not stop and inhale deeply, appreciating the rich scents that promised warmth and comfort. There was nothing like a slice of Alf ’s bread fresh from the oven, butter still melting into the crumb. He made round loaves and long loaves and braided loaves, rich and tangy sourdough, and round rolls light as clouds and matchless for soaking up the remnants of a soup or a stew. Children lined up on Saturday afternoons for sweet rolls filled with sugar and cinnamon and bits of dried fruit.

No one knew his secrets, except perhaps Harper—but though he was a very respectable cook and feast-maker in his own right, he could not quite compare to his master in the matter of baking. After Alf departed a whisper went about that he was one of the fairy folk, and that all his foods held enchantments. Harper only laughed when asked about it, and so the whisper remained only rumor, eventually forgotten as Alf himself faded from local memory into local legend.

Smith, though, smiled and remembered both a marvelous cake with a secret and enchanted gift inside, and hard-crusted rolls he had taken on his journeys, tucked carefully into his pockets or pack, and how they had never once gone stale.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I have always loved the origin story of how the lucky item in the cake came to be, and this is a beautiful little addition to the tales. the New Orleans lover in me appreciates your description of king cake especially.