Funky Haikus by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I'm not sure this is actually going to become a series, but it may be. The series title was originally a joke that eventually I couldn't resist using.

The challenge prompt is, rather obviously, the following '70's song: "Killing Me Softly With His Song" by Roberta Flack.

Now followed by another two haikus with more humorous takes on challenge prompts (for these see chapter notes). So this has become a totally mixed bag now...

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Haikus for prompts of the Funky 70's challenge.

Major Characters: Lúthien Tinúviel, Noldor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Poetry

Challenges: Funky 70s

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 39
Posted on 28 June 2024 Updated on 2 July 2024

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Strumming the Heart Strings

Well, Roberta Flack's song, of course, made me think of Maglor, as you do. Except of course maybe you don't think of Maglor, because there are other elves out there who could be equally devastating to listen to.

So the haiku I wrote poses a question, rather than answering. Except I think they must be Noldorin. You will be able to see why.

Read Strumming the Heart Strings

Who chants shared exile,

sends old griefs rippling seaward,

softly killing song?

Ladylike Behaviour

Prompt: "Three Times a Lady", the song by The Commodores.

Lady with a capital L? Clearly: Luthien.

Much lighter in tone than the first one.

Read Ladylike Behaviour

Three times a lady:
climbs trees, sings walls down, wears bat.
And Beren loves her.
 


Chapter End Notes

Originally this read: wears bat skin. Because when I make up haikus in the small hours of the morning, I cannot necessarily count to seven. Now edited.

Hitchhiking in Beleriand

The prompt for this one obviously was:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

Read Hitchhiking in Beleriand

Don't even bother 
panicking. Run! Not that way!
Any way but north.


Chapter End Notes

I have a feeling someone may have done something like this already. On the other hand, I tried to Google for it and found nothing. On the other hand again, Google insisted that I meant Belgium, not Beleriand. *shrug*  If you know of something similar out there, let me know.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


-- I would not run north from Belgium either, so, fair. In any case, I have never seen anything like this before, or thought about it, so maybe you are in the clear?
-- When I think of Maglor killing someone softly, it's not with his song...  But I am sure his song slays, too.
-- The Luthien one is so clever! Really, the lady is a tramp. (Wrong decade, though.)

Thank you for the reassurance!

I am hoping for them that hitchhikers in Belgium, at any rate, are less likely to meet orcs and balrogs!

There were a couple of posts on Tumblr at some point (of the crack-taken-seriously type), one about Maglor's skill as a battle bard lying in reducing the orcs, etc. to such weeping so much that they could not fight, and the other about eldritch Maglor's Noldolante being deadly to listeners. But my own Maglor still is, as he used to be, more of a rogue practitioner of elvish music therapy.

Happy you enjoyed the one about Luthien!

 

 

the first one is hauntingly beautiful and a little bit chilling.  i really like the idea of it as a riddle, i think that was inspired

the second one is adorable, BLESS HER SHE DOES WEAR BAT IT IS TRUE

and the third one is HYSTERICAL

grab your towel and GET OUT NOW