Coincidences of Fate by cílil

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Sometimes Eönwë wonders if his life is just like Manwë's romance novels. Sometimes he even thinks the One may be laughing at him from above.

A story told in exactly 4 1/3 drabbles.

Major Characters: Eönwë, Sauron, Gothmog

Major Relationships: Eönwë/Gothmog, Eönwë/Sauron

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Ficlet, Romance, Slash

Challenges: Bollywood

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 443
Posted on 7 August 2024 Updated on 7 August 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Coincidences of Fate

Read Coincidences of Fate

Eönwë remembers no other mission as vividly as this one, scouting the northern wastes for signs of Melkor and his creatures, when he was unexpectedly caught in a snowstorm and eventually fell, crashing into an icy mountain.

He remembers cold, pain and then sudden warmth as his mind remained unconscious and his fána was held by something big and strong.

He remembers being carried, his head resting comfortably against something broad and muscular, the faint presence of another, warm breath on his skin.

And at the end of it all he remembers waking up, not knowing who his rescuer was.

~

Eönwë often recalls the first time he met Mairon, that talented, beautiful and utterly frightening Maia, working with the same precision and persistence as a bird of prey when it was hunting. He still knows how many times he found excuses to visit him in the forge and remembers his clumsy attempts at striking up conversations.

Nevertheless, Mairon had seemed to enjoy his presence, to be amenable to any possible advances, to like him.

Until the day he no longer did.

Though at least Eönwë found out soon after what, or rather who, had forever stolen Mairon's favour from him.

~

Eönwë remembers the time he chanced upon a servant of Melkor.

Part of him hoped it was Mairon, part of him dreaded the possibility, but it wasn't him.

It was another spirit of fire, one he had never seen on Almaren, one that had taken a giant, monstrous form of flame and shadow.

Even so, something about this one suddenly felt familiar.

Gothmog he was called, and he was the Lord of Balrogs, as his kin had come to be known.

Eönwë fled, yet somehow he's regretted it ever since, wondering what Gothmog might have had to say to him.

~

Eönwë has been seeing Mairon in his dreams ever since that day when he finally found him again. After everything was over, after his dark master had lost.

In the end Mairon was the one who came to him, and Eönwë foolishly hoped it meant something. That he was truly sorry. That he would come back with him. That things would be alright and they could continue where they had left off all those years ago.

But Mairon had merely wanted protection and absolution and vanished when Eönwë couldn't give it.

Maybe that was truly all he ever wanted then.

~

Eönwë remembers hearing the story of how Gothmog finally fell in Gondolin. To this day, he knows not why the Lord of Balrogs sought him out once, or what he meant to say. 


Chapter End Notes

Thanks for reading!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.